Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Felix J
Experienced
Topic Author

How to make gallery 'suitable' aswell for 11 inch netbook?

27 Apr 2012, 20:24

For example at the start page of gallery the whole photos is not visible some of the height is cut off from the photos, link http://photo.felixjacobson.com/

Screenshot - http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/3803 ... hotila.jpg

Also while browsing through thumbnails in a directory not all thumbnails appears, just 4 (1 row). Link, http://photo.felixjacobson.com/#/conten ... ack_white/

Screenshot - http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/551/screenshot1bwq.jpg

If I want more thumbnails rows to appear, but still want to keep the size of the thumbnails as is for bigger screen... --there more rows appear by automatically. Perhaps it would be suitable to make the thumbnails smaller just for netbook in order for more thumbnails to appear, or??

If I go full screen then the photos at startpage is fully visible, but still I think they are a bit too big (for 11 inch screen size). Also by going full screen 2 rows appears, but I would still want all set rows to appear.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
ArtGallerix - Painting Gallery!
Felix Jacobson Photo - Personal Gallery!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: How to make gallery 'suitable' aswell for 11 inch netboo

01 May 2012, 04:54

First of all, it must be mentioned that there is no ultimate answer to this question, simply because a none-scrolling flash-based gallery simply looks and works better on larger screens. Why? Because all the interface AND as much images and thumbnails needs to be available in the interface without scrolling. What happens if someone asks "How to make gallery suitable on 8" screen?". Right now we are soon to release mobile platform frontend, which will certainly make it look much better on mobile devices, but it requires an entirely different interface of course ... Lets see about your specific questions:
Felix J wrote:For example at the start page of gallery the whole photos is not visible some of the height is cut off from the photos, link http://photo.felixjacobson.com/
This is because basically the "filemod" you are using, was created to just "load anything" and simply display it. It does not inherit the resizing algorithm for the main gallery when viewing images. However, you may want to change this ... Instead of using the filemod, you can set your start folder to a normal "gallery" folder, with a single image. This way, it will display the image, and scale it to fit within margins of screen size. You would also need to add a few folder parameters to remove the UI interface elements that you dont want for the start page.
Felix J wrote:Also while browsing through thumbnails in a directory not all thumbnails appears, just 4 (1 row). Link, http://photo.felixjacobson.com/#/conten ... ack_white/
This is a bit unfortunate, because calculates how many rows of thumbnails it can get in, based on thumbnails space-, frame- and margins around the thumbnails area. Most likely, it might just be missing a few px to not display the second row ... This can be remedied by slightly decreasing the thumbnails -> margin in settings, although there is no blueprint to exactly how much margin you should have, because different browsers with different toolbars all have different height. You could probably tweak it to perfectly fit your 11" testing environment. Furthermore, the less margin you have, the less room there may be available for navigation below the thumbnails, and description above thumbnails (which again are pushed upwards and may crash with menu or other items).
Felix J wrote:If I want more thumbnails rows to appear, but still want to keep the size of the thumbnails as is for bigger screen... --there more rows appear by automatically. Perhaps it would be suitable to make the thumbnails smaller just for netbook in order for more thumbnails to appear, or??

If I go full screen then the photos at startpage is fully visible, but still I think they are a bit too big (for 11 inch screen size). Also by going full screen 2 rows appears, but I would still want all set rows to appear.
I agree with you, but this may be something I think we must consider for a future release of a new html5/jQuery version, because html generally is much more powerful for flexible layouts based on screen sizes. Thanks for the insight!

Felix J
Experienced
Topic Author

02 May 2012, 10:26

mjau-mjau wrote:First of all, it must be mentioned that there is no ultimate answer to this question, simply because a none-scrolling flash-based gallery simply looks and works better on larger screens. Why? Because all the interface AND as much images and thumbnails needs to be available in the interface without scrolling. What happens if someone asks "How to make gallery suitable on 8" screen?". Right now we are soon to release mobile platform frontend, which will certainly make it look much better on mobile devices, but it requires an entirely different interface of course ... Lets see about your specific questions:
Felix J wrote:For example at the start page of gallery the whole photos is not visible some of the height is cut off from the photos, link http://photo.felixjacobson.com/
This is because basically the "filemod" you are using, was created to just "load anything" and simply display it. It does not inherit the resizing algorithm for the main gallery when viewing images. However, you may want to change this ... Instead of using the filemod, you can set your start folder to a normal "gallery" folder, with a single image. This way, it will display the image, and scale it to fit within margins of screen size. You would also need to add a few folder parameters to remove the UI interface elements that you dont want for the start page.
Felix J wrote:Also while browsing through thumbnails in a directory not all thumbnails appears, just 4 (1 row). Link, http://photo.felixjacobson.com/#/conten ... ack_white/
This is a bit unfortunate, because calculates how many rows of thumbnails it can get in, based on thumbnails space-, frame- and margins around the thumbnails area. Most likely, it might just be missing a few px to not display the second row ... This can be remedied by slightly decreasing the thumbnails -> margin in settings, although there is no blueprint to exactly how much margin you should have, because different browsers with different toolbars all have different height. You could probably tweak it to perfectly fit your 11" testing environment. Furthermore, the less margin you have, the less room there may be available for navigation below the thumbnails, and description above thumbnails (which again are pushed upwards and may crash with menu or other items).
Felix J wrote:If I want more thumbnails rows to appear, but still want to keep the size of the thumbnails as is for bigger screen... --there more rows appear by automatically. Perhaps it would be suitable to make the thumbnails smaller just for netbook in order for more thumbnails to appear, or??

I agree with you, but this may be something I think we must consider for a future release of a new html5/jQuery version, because html generally is much more powerful for flexible layouts based on screen sizes. Thanks for the insight!
OK. Well, the current html version is displayed rather well at a 11 inch screen from what I can remember, don't know about smaller screens, but I guess that will be solved due to the new html mobile versions, atleast for mobile devices. I guess not common that people uses screens smaller than 7 inch screen for their 'PC' (most probably a netbook and the smallest I know of is with 7 inch screen size).. Having this said.., I have no clue how common it is that people use netbooks nowadays? Tablets & mobiles devices taking over netbook 'use', huh?
ArtGallerix - Painting Gallery!
Felix Jacobson Photo - Personal Gallery!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

04 May 2012, 00:40

Felix J wrote:OK. Well, the current html version is displayed rather well at a 11 inch screen from what I can remember, don't know about smaller screens, but I guess that will be solved due to the new html mobile versions, atleast for mobile devices. I guess not common that people uses screens smaller than 7 inch screen for their 'PC' (most probably a netbook and the smallest I know of is with 7 inch screen size).. Having this said.., I have no clue how common it is that people use netbooks nowadays? Tablets & mobiles devices taking over netbook 'use', huh?
A lot of different devices with many various screen sizes: This is the current state of things, and we gotta deal with it. There are obviously an increasing amount of users on smartphones and tablets, and we already have this covered ... You can sneak preview a demo at www.photo.gallery/demo/x2/ if you access it with iOS or Android, but there are some bugs.

Netbooks 11"-13" still have a huge market, because they are cheap (often cheaper than tablets), and more functional for typing and doing basic work. I work a lot from a 13" macbook, and this will not change. So, hopefully a new html/javascript version might scale better for small-screen laptops.

As for larger screen 15" and up: I usually work from a 23" Apple cinema display, and the Imagevue flash gallery looks great on it ... obviously the bigger screen, the better for Imagevue flash.

This is all something we need to take into consideration for new concepts. A few years ago around the times when Imagevue X2 was released, there were no tablets, smartphones werent really "smart", and laptops generally came at sizes 13" or higher and it was pretty standard to expect a 1280x1024 or higher viewing resolution.

Gemi

24 May 2012, 14:28

mjau-mjau wrote:
Felix J wrote: You can sneak preview a demo at www.photo.gallery/demo/x2/ if you access it with iOS or Android, but there are some bugs.
And what about Bada OS. Is there any option for such a case?

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

30 May 2012, 03:49

Please check our demo on your Bada phone: www.photo.gallery/demo/x2/

However we don't know how it is going to work (if it will).
firedev.com