X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Felix J
Experienced
Topic Author

[Not anymore]Your opinions regarding watermarking photos

15 Feb 2012, 06:21

Hello

So now I am currently watermarking photos. I do know that I want to watermark photos. What I am not sure of is what way to go in watermarking...

I am sure of I want the 'type' of watermark

Currently I have '3 rows watermarking'. My question is however.., do you find it too cluttering in regards to the actual photo? While I want to be 'more or less' sure of protecting image I don't want it in the same time to be cluttering too much.. First I was having just one 'copyright' row in the middle of the photo, but was thinking that isn't enough, but maybe it is..

So the actual question is... if I shall go with this 'tile' or just having one copyright text in the middle?

Happy for your opinion(s).

Thanks.
Last edited by Felix J on 15 Feb 2012, 13:09, edited 2 times in total.
ArtGallerix - Painting Gallery!
Felix Jacobson Photo - Personal Gallery!

Felix J
Experienced
Topic Author

Re: Your opinions regarding watermarking photos

15 Feb 2012, 07:32

Or nwm... I will go with it and just one line...

Thanks anyhow and sorry for the thread.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: [Not anymore]Your opinions regarding watermarking photos

15 Feb 2012, 23:39

I found this an interesting question, so wanted to give my opinion on it nevertheless.

The object of watermarking a photo is obviously to protect it, or else a small logo in a corner would do. I believe the watermark therefore needs to be at the center of the image - However, I would suggest it can be small and transparent ... As long as its vaguely visible. Having it in the middle means it cant be re-used by cropping the image, and someone might consider using it with the watermark, but they are obviously not professionals ...

Felix J
Experienced
Topic Author

16 Feb 2012, 04:48

mjau-mjau wrote:I found this an interesting question, so wanted to give my opinion on it nevertheless.

The object of watermarking a photo is obviously to protect it, or else a small logo in a corner would do. I believe the watermark therefore needs to be at the center of the image - However, I would suggest it can be small and transparent ... As long as its vaguely visible. Having it in the middle means it cant be re-used by cropping the image, and someone might consider using it with the watermark, but they are obviously not professionals ...
Yes, I thought that it was a bit too big.. So I made it smaller, transparent. I didn't want to go 'too' small. While I don't want it to be 'too' easy to have it removed, I still didn't want it to take too much 'focus' out of the photo, but of course that's a question based on opinion...

After some thinking, I thought that to 'tile' the watermark text would be too cluttering in regards to the photo(s), but that is my opinon..

The perhaps big downside with not using a 'tile' of your watermark and instead just using one in the middle is that people can crop out for example the bottom or the top of the image and use that cropped peice of image as a 'standalone' image and perhaps you won't notice it's cropped out peice of image, but OK I can take that... atleast the watermark is I would say for most photo(s) 'best' placed in regards to protection.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

16 Feb 2012, 23:36

I don't believe in overdoing it in any way ... If someone is so desperate that they want to spend time photoshopping out some watermark from your image, you can be sure of a few things: 1. They are not professionals, 2. They would never buy your image anyway, 3. They must be desperate, because its not hard to get your hands "usable" images these days anyway. Besides, this is web-friendly isn't it? In this day and age, I would consider not using watermarking at all, but if you do, just make it very small and subtle so that it looks nice.

Felix J
Experienced
Topic Author

17 Feb 2012, 04:09

mjau-mjau wrote:I don't believe in overdoing it in any way ... If someone is so desperate that they want to spend time photoshopping out some watermark from your image, you can be sure of a few things: 1. They are not professionals, 2. They would never buy your image anyway, 3. They must be desperate, because its not hard to get your hands "usable" images these days anyway. Besides, this is web-friendly isn't it? In this day and age, I would consider not using watermarking at all, but if you do, just make it very small and subtle so that it looks nice.
Yes, Ok what you're saying sounds very logical to me afterall. Thanks for your insight!

Felix J
Experienced
Topic Author

17 Feb 2012, 05:08

One 'issue' is that I can't make it too small and still gain full advantage of font effects such as 'glass' if you see what I mean..