Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

spyker
Topic Author

Wordpress and Imagevue

30 May 2009, 20:42

Hi guys.

Just before i stick up my question please note that i have looked around the forums for a solution and i have also looked around on the internet.

I want to simply put my current imagevuex gallery in to a wordpress page.

While i appreciate there is alot of stuff here on how to integrate the SWF into a html page, all of the content is from people who are asking specific questions and very rarely are the threads completed with answers.

So before you go mad and rant at me, do you no of any were be it here or else were, were i can get a general how to guide?

I am a photographer but my knowledge of html is limited, hence why i am enquiring here.

the blog sits at www.site.com/blog

the gallery sits at www.site.com (on the main index)

any help or reference would be cracking.

Cheers, N.
www.solidstatus.com

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

31 May 2009, 15:26

you have your gallery at www.site.com and blog at www.site.com/blog, and then you want to move your blog to www.site.com and the gallery as something like www.site.com/gallery?

Generally speaking, all you need to do is "embed" the SWF into a custom page in your wordpress. Perhaps you can provide me with some real links, and I can help you out in a real-life example?

gadgetologist
Experienced

02 Jun 2009, 11:34

Hmmm.. :roll:

I was hoping to watch over your shoulder and learn something. Did this evaporate or go stealth?

:?:

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

02 Jun 2009, 17:26

gadgetologist wrote:Hmmm.. :roll:

I was hoping to watch over your shoulder and learn something. Did this evaporate or go stealth?
Not sure. The reason I asked to work with a real-life example, because it depends on the terminology that can be used. Generally in wordpress, you can create wrappers or templates I think, which just inherit the design of the blog template. To insert the gallery here, you would simply use almost the same code as you can see in the default www.photo.gallery/soda/index_example.html which is provided in the gallery root as a reference.

The only tricky part, is to also use the SWFObject javascript to embed the gallery. Unless this javascript is embedded into the wordpress heading somehow, you will need to add it or embed in a more standard way(without javascript).

nix

02 Jun 2009, 19:00

I was able to successfully integrate the gallery into wordpress, but i have mixed results. The buttons dont work that well and when you go full screen sometimes clicking is unresponsive and doesnt work properly. I wouldnt recommend integrating it into the wordpress template. I'd leave it as a link.

nix

02 Jun 2009, 19:49

I was able to get it to succesfully work using 2 ways

#1 you can use an iframe tag its pretty easy and works well, but iframes are frowned upon by most web devs.

or

#2 you have to integrate it into the wordpress theme.

step #1

go into your wordpress theme directory and find header.php and add this code at the top in the <head> section modify paths and style elements as necessary. As you can see mine is in the root/gallery dir
Code
		<link href="gallery/imagevue/css/forAdmin.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
		<link href="gallery/imagevue/css/forImagevue.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
		<script type="text/javascript" src="gallery/imagevue/javascript/swfobject.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="gallery/imagevue/javascript/swfaddress.js"></script>

<style type="text/css">
			/* hide from ie on mac \*/
			html {
				height: 550px;
				overflow: hidden;
			}
			#imagevue {
			}
			/* end hide */
			body {
				background-color: #222222;
				margin: 5px;
				padding: 0px;
			}
			#forAdmin { display: none;}
			</style>
then in wordpress create a page, when your editing the page click the html tab button and add the following code, dont forget to mod the paths as needed
Code
<div id="imagevue">
<div id="na">
<h1>Oops! – This page requires javascript -</h1>
<p></p>
<p>				Please enable javascript in your browser and reload page.<br />
				&raquo; <a href="?p=gallery">Flash gallery</a></p>
<p>				Optionally, you can view the HTML gallery page instead:<br />
				&raquo; <a href="?p=html">HTML gallery</a></p>
<p>				&raquo;
			</p></div>
</p></div>
<p>		<script type="text/javascript">
		//<![CDATA[
			var flashVars = {
				foreground_color: 'EEEEEE',
				background_color: '222222'
			};						
			swfobject.embedSWF("gallery/imagevue/imagevue2.swf", "imagevue", "100%", "550", "8.0.0", "gallery/imagevue/expressInstall.swf", flashVars, {allowScriptAccess: 'always', allowFullScreen: true, bgcolor: '#222222'}, {id: 'imagevue', name: 'imagevue'});
		// ]]>
		</script>

gadgetologist
Experienced

02 Jun 2009, 23:22

First, let me say thanks.... tonight I will try it your way and see how it works.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

03 Jun 2009, 04:18

When integrating into "capsulated" designs, I would also recommend changing a few settings. By default, imagevue is set to work on 100% browser size. When packed into a limited area, images/thumbnails may get too small unless you change the margins. Might also be an idea to minimize controls visible on the screen.

Btw. Are you saying that the "fullscreen" option doesn ´t work as well as normal when embedded into wordpress? I would like to experience this. Are you sure you added the "allowfullscreen" attribute?

gadgetologist
Experienced

03 Jun 2009, 04:49

Unfortunately, no joy! No lock. Not working.

I installed both apps fresh for this purpose, so standard untouched everything. Still pondering the problem. The symptom? Nothing shows from imagevue, but at the bottom of the page is the "Oops.." message.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

03 Jun 2009, 11:16

That ´s the SWFObject javascript module... as i mentioened in my last post, that must be linked in the document heading. If you wanna give a link, I can take a look at it if you want ...

gadgetologist
Experienced

03 Jun 2009, 12:28

mjau-mjau wrote:That ´s the SWFObject javascript module... as i mentioened in my last post, that must be linked in the document heading. If you wanna give a link, I can take a look at it if you want ...
Are you kidding? You are most welcome to my sandbox...

And I am grateful!

See PM for access info.

--G

nix

03 Jun 2009, 15:43

I had that error a bunch of times as well... its basicly a problem with the swf linking to your script it cant find it.

make sure your in wp-content/themes/*your current theme*/header.php

add the lines in the head code

and then you have to make a page and add the lines in the html code

id also be happy to take a look and help you out if you would like me to.

gadgetologist
Experienced

03 Jun 2009, 16:31

nix wrote:I had that error a bunch of times as well... its basicly a problem with the swf linking to your script it cant find it.

make sure your in wp-content/themes/*your current theme*/header.php

add the lines in the head code

and then you have to make a page and add the lines in the html code

id also be happy to take a look and help you out if you would like me to.
Yes, I did make sure. and I attempted a couple of themes. Finally went to the basic classic theme. It does seem like it can't find something.

As I said earlier above to mjau-mjau...
Are you kidding? You are most welcome to my sandbox...

And I am grateful!
What a great offer.
See PM for access info. Be gentle... 8)

--G

gadgetologist
Experienced

A peek under the covers... what's the latest on the sandboxS

03 Jun 2009, 21:31

Some edits didn't stay put. typed one thing, but WP munged it into something else.

Installed version 2.7.1 (latest stable version) from version 2.2 and the munging stopped.

However, the problem hasn't changed. It still seems that somehow WP isn't finding the information for X2.

Will be double checking the edits.

--G

nix

03 Jun 2009, 21:36

if the details are the same i dont mind checking the code again.