Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

anytime732
Experienced
Topic Author

sitemap of x2? ways to get search engines to see it????

03 Apr 2009, 17:04

Hi,

Im looking for a way of building a site map for my site

http://www.sherwoodsfabrics.co.uk/fabrics/

as the content ie folders and image names/dexriptions are changed regularly it is not logical to retype the xml manually. ive souce some software "A1 Software generator" this seems to work "kind of" work...... for some reason its only to pickup half of the image folder and ive no idea where to go from here.

i think its an important issue to be addresses as soon as possible with imagevue x2 as currently there been no mention of how search engines are able to view the pages. the only thing mentioned with any relevence would be that html pages are index, this is a start though maybe there could be a module added to build a sitemap or of anyone could reccomend some software i woudl be greatful....

thanks in adavance and keep up the good work...[/url]

anytime732
Experienced
Topic Author

04 Apr 2009, 17:14

is anybody out there.............. :?:

markam24
Experienced

05 Apr 2009, 22:08

anytime732 wrote:is anybody out there.............. :?:
I don't think anything out there will properly (entirely) map a flash site.

Until recently flash sites could not be crawled at all. Google has only recently begun to read text links within flash content, but they don't appear to map individual "pages" within flash. That's on Google though, not imagevue.

Google also appears to miss individual image pages within the HTML side of imagevue. Karl (mauj mauj) has recently said (in another thread) there is no reason the image pages shouldn't be indexed and doesn't know why they aren't (I'm paraphrasing).

I personally am proceeding with the knowledge that all folders on the HTML side are being indexed by search engines. If I want to get search results for a subject, I create an archived gallery (not on the menu) named accordingly with related content.

anytime732
Experienced
Topic Author

06 Apr 2009, 03:15

i understand what you are saying but i also know its possible you can build your own sitemap which enables search engines to see pages they would otherwise not be able to crawl or see.

its my understanding that imagevue compiles the pages as and when they are requested through js.

what im asking is there must be some way in which to export and xml with all the pages in your site hence create a sitemap, obviously there woudl have to be formatted correctly but i wouldnt have thought that be to much of a problem.

personally i think that relying on the html gallery to be indexed by search engines is a bit of a cop out from finding i real soloution. from what ive gathered nobody realy knows what exactly search engines look for though its fact that a sitemap enable tthem to see pages it cant find under its default crawl settings..

maybe carl and the guys could do some expermenting and see what they fin is the best way of getting google to see the pages

let me know what you all think

markam24
Experienced

08 Apr 2009, 12:31

I hear what your saying. The subject has come up here often (and I'm often the one raising it).

I've tried many mapping programs and so far nothing seems to map flash properly (imagevue or otherwise). To date nothing apears to find the deep linked image, folder, or text URL's within flash.

My thought for x2 (given my limited knowledge of it's "mechanics") was to create one master .php page listing all folder, text page, and image URLs with thumbs and meta data deep linking to each respective URL within flash. Users could have the option of including thumbs or any meta data field for each URL in the listings.

Although not a proper mapping solution for search engines, I think it would be helpful as a general public map/listing.

Hopefully mauj mauj and pain will give the subject some more thought after launching the new x2 site -:)

markam24
Experienced

08 Apr 2009, 12:46

And i think the key here, IMHO, would be to have a .php generated "sitemap" for users with limited meta data (thumbs only (optional), no large images) and that the URL's would deep link directly into flash.

The current HTML image pages are not being found by search engines anyway. My vote would be to use the same mechanics used to generate the HTML / .php pages and turn it into a simpler listing to feed the flash.

And because there would be no large images on this page, the images would be a little less vulnerable to theft.

Optimally this sitemap / .php page would be optional, just as the current HTML pages are optional.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Apr 2009, 23:11

Sorry for the late reply -

We could build a sitemap, but this would really only be a simplified version of what the HTML gallery already does. The HTML gallery already represents a basic structure of the structure inside the gallery.

We could build a simplistic sitemap which simply would be a single-page structural overview of folders/pages and images inside the imagevue gallery structure, with links. There is however no logic why google would handle this better than the HTML option. But maybe it does somehow?

It also has to be mentioned, building HTML sitemap structures may not provide the desired results in the search engine. For one, search engines will point to the HTML version of the folder or file being searched for. Some users may not appreciate this.

I think we will build a pure text/links sitemap for a forthcoming release, and see how it comes out ... It will simply be a structural representation of the folders and files, with links to separate items.

Any further suggestions? You mentioned something about XML?

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

09 Apr 2009, 02:02

Are we speaking about Google's SITEMAP.XML or Just some sitemap page?

HTML gallery could serve as a sitemap of sort. It has:

1. Same content pictures, titles, descriptions you have in SWF gallery,
2. Has a link from each page to the corresponding SWF image/folder.
3. Indexable and browsable.
firedev.com

anytime732
Experienced
Topic Author

09 Apr 2009, 03:06

its my understanding best sitemap format for search engines is an XML in the root folder named sitmap.xmp .

surly there would be a way of pointing x2 to an xml file somewhere on the webserver where it can add remove sitmap info say when the cashe is cleared,

also ive spent alot of time with my site and google (with html enabled) and i can assure everyone that google has shown no interest in it what so ever. you may say its chosen to ignore the pages, but i have so many i find it hard to believe that it wouldnt even hint at one of them.

check it out go to google and search

site:http://www.sherwoodsfabrics.co.uk
or
site:http://www.sherwoodsfabrics.co.uk/fabrics (thats where the gallery is embeded)

markam24
Experienced

09 Apr 2009, 14:40

mjau-mjau wrote:Sorry for the late reply -

We could build a sitemap, but this would really only be a simplified version of what the HTML gallery already does. The HTML gallery already represents a basic structure of the structure inside the gallery.

We could build a simplistic sitemap which simply would be a single-page structural overview of folders/pages and images inside the imagevue gallery structure, with links. There is however no logic why google would handle this better than the HTML option. But maybe it does somehow?

It also has to be mentioned, building HTML sitemap structures may not provide the desired results in the search engine. For one, search engines will point to the HTML version of the folder or file being searched for. Some users may not appreciate this.

I think we will build a pure text/links sitemap for a forthcoming release, and see how it comes out ... It will simply be a structural representation of the folders and files, with links to separate items.

Any further suggestions? You mentioned something about XML?
I initially liked the HTML pages as a way of getting google hits, thinking it worth leaving the images out in the open and freely accessible as a decent trade for the possiblilty of the extra traffic. When we first began discussing "V2", Google was not spidering flash at all.

Now that we see Google is not indexing the HTML image pages, and therefor not gathering image specific info, I'd rather not just leave the images hanging out in the open that way.

That's why I thought a 1 page HTML "sitemap" with folders, pages, and image thumbs with metadata (but no full sized images) might be a nice option.

Just my thoughts. If you think that will be detrimental to indexing by search engines, then so be it. I will digress to those who know more about these things than myself -;)

X2 is the best solution out there and I'm grateful for whatever improvements ya'll are able to make.

anytime732
Experienced
Topic Author

10 Apr 2009, 11:56

i love x2, dont get me wrong.

though if there is no way that google or anyother search engine is able to view its contents then its uses are grealty limited.
i use it for displaying fabrics on a business website and currently guess what no one knows its there!!!!!

im not the worlds best programmer and i know very little about the low level coding on x2 but what i do know is it shouldnt be that difficult for x2 to generate a xml names "sitemap.xml" in the root of the web directory with links to all images and descriptions etc.

please dont think that im being a pain in the *** here but seriously whats the point in a website that is only viewable by telling some that it actually exists and what its goog for?>???

markam24
Experienced

I HAVE AN IDEA! - MAUJ MAUJ and PAIN please note -;)

11 Apr 2009, 00:49

I remember reading someplace that google doesn't index URL's ending with .jpg (or whatever extension is used for various image formats) for display in text search results.

They DO index actual images for IMAGE searches, but that's a different issue.

If X2 "page" URLs end with an image file extension. Could this lead to Google (or other search engines) seeing x2 image pages as image files, and therefor not something to be indexed for text search results?

Doesn't this make sense?

anytime732
Experienced
Topic Author

12 Apr 2009, 16:55

i think the important thing is that search engines can at least see the pages first, indeed if search engines ignore image files and sees the x2 pages as image files then the imagevuex team need to address this.

ive been having a good look through my google analytics account and its very clear that no one is getting to my site from searching for anything thats in the gallery.

markam24
Experienced

12 Apr 2009, 23:00

On the HTML side, search engines DO index the imagevue HTML folders and text pages, just not the image pages. Have you checked your site via Google Webmaster Tools to see what's listed?

Or do you have HTML disabled? If HTML is disabled, don't count on much in terms of results beyond the flash front end.

Google only recently learned to crawl text in flash within the last year, and it is still very limited, mostly to following links to other non-flash pages which can then be indexed. This is true of all flash sites, not just Imagevue.

I wouldn't currently count on Flash to generate search results based on text or pages beyond home.

Anything that can be done by Imagevue to improve search results, will probably be HTML based.

The biggest current obstacle on the imagevue HTML side is image pages, and therefor the image specific meta data, are not being indexed. This is possibly because of the file extensions mentioned before (an observation based on my limited knowledge).

Best thing that could be done, IMHO, is to find a way for image specific meta data to be found by search images within HTML. How to do that is the question.

Altering image pages so they can be found by search engines would ne nice, but will only work for those with HTML enabled. I'm included in this group -;)

Another option is a simple HTML based site map which doesn't show full images (and possibly not thumbs, although I'd rather see them). The developers have hinted this method could have drawbacks compared to the full HTML, but would most likely be more agreeable to people wanting to run flash only sites.

Otherwise, I have hope that search engines will learn to better index flash, but that's a waiting game.

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

13 Apr 2009, 05:31

Hmm do you guys have any ideas how we can improve search-friendliness after all?
firedev.com