Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

dezzo
Topic Author

white flash on image transition Mac

23 Oct 2008, 23:46

While viewing the slideshow in my browser, I'm getting a big time flicker on each image transition. It's like a quick flash to white or black, depending on what the background color of the theme is.

I'm using Mac OSX 10.5.5, Firefox 3.03 and I have the Flash 10 plug in installed. Safari works fine.

On my other Mac running OSX 10.4.11, Firefox 3.03 and the Flash 9 plug in, there is no flicker. So, it's not just because it's a Mac and Firefox. Perhaps it's the Flash 10 plug in.

This flash happens not just on my own v2 slideshows but on all v2 demos. But, here's a funny thing. When I accessed the demos earlier this evening there was no flash or flicker on transition. I first noticed it after I downloaded the new versions and installed it on my server and started configuring it that the flash started.

I've uninstalled my Imagevue files and reinstalled it onto my server, cleared my browser cache, restarted the browser, re-booted the machine and still it flashes on image change.

Any other mac users with Leopard/ Flash 10/ Firefox experiencing this? Any ideas?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: white flash on image transition Mac

24 Oct 2008, 22:04

This is a known issue on mac, that I am trying to figure out, but it's a little difficult as its obviously related to the flash player/platform somehow.
dezzo wrote:This flash happens not just on my own v2 slideshows but on all v2 demos. But, here's a funny thing. When I accessed the demos earlier this evening there was no flash or flicker on transition. I first noticed it after I downloaded the new versions and installed it on my server and started configuring it that the flash started.
I'm trying to figure out what your saying here - Do you mean you can't remember having this bug in earlier versions?(although you had flash player 10).

Perhaps you can check one thing for me - The old version 1 slideshow has similar mechanics as V2. Can you see if you get the same issue here on your mac:
https://www.photo.gallery/imagevue/slideshow.php

dezzo
Topic Author

Re: white flash on image transition Mac

25 Oct 2008, 00:47

I don't recall seeing the flash earlier in the evening when I came to the site to check out the demos and how they were looking after the recent update. I browsed all the demos and new themes and I do not recall seeing any flash between transitions then. But, I might have been browsing with my other mac with the Flash 9 plug in. Sorry, I don't know for sure which machine I was using.

I tested the old version 1 slideshow via the url you supplied and it all displays normally with the Flash 10 plug in and Firefox. I detected no bugs.

Remember, version 2 displays ok with Safari and the Flash 10 plugin. One very cool thing with the Flash 10 plug in on the Mac is that the arrow keys continue to advance or reverse the v2 slideshow even in full screen mode. With Flash 9, no keyboard keys functioned in full screen mode, except the "escape" key. Arrow keys control in full screen mode is very cool!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

25 Oct 2008, 01:14

It seems like the new Flash 10 player will allow arrow key controls in fullscreen mode on all platforms. yeah!
http://worldtv.com/blog/technology/keyb ... t_last.php

As for the mac flickering problem, I will look into it ... I am wondering if it could be the new applySmoothing function I added in release 20081015.

stan

27 Oct 2008, 10:45

Any other mac users with Leopard/ Flash 10/ Firefox experiencing this? Any ideas?
Hi Dezzo,

I got the same problem:
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.p ... hite+flash
On my other Mac running OSX 10.4.11, Firefox 3.03 and the Flash 9 plug in, there is no flicker. So, it's not just because it's a Mac and Firefox. Perhaps it's the Flash 10 plug in.
Thats strange, I also have this configuration: I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.11 (tiger), Firefox 3.0.3, Flash plugin 9.0. But I DO have the white flicker.
Remember, version 2 displays ok with Safari and the Flash 10 plugin
I also tested it on safari(3.1.2) and opera(9.51) in combination with mac os x 10.4 / Flash9 : but no problem there.

Just like you I also seem to remember that the white flicker wasn't there initially. But I dont know when it started. Might have been the update to FF3, but I am not sure...
Perhaps you can check one thing for me - The old version 1 slideshow has similar mechanics as V2. Can you see if you get the same issue here on your mac:
https://www.photo.gallery/imagevue/slideshow.php
No problem with this link.

Hope this extra info will help solve the problem...

dezzo
Topic Author

28 Oct 2008, 16:39

Yes, seems to be a Firefox with Flash 10 problem.

Just to be a bit more descriptive, the flash happens the moment the image transition ends. The transition happens and the moment the next image displays the entire content of the page vanishes for a fraction of a second leaving just the background color of the page. With the dark colored default theme the background color flash is dark grey. On the light colored themes the flash is to white.

I have also observed that in fullscreen mode there is no flash. Exit from full screen and back to regular window view and the flash returns.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

29 Oct 2008, 04:09

That's interesting, thanks for all valuable feedback ... I did some tests removing the applySmoothing function but it wasn't that.

Could anyone do me a favour from mac? Goto admin -> config.settings.useswfaddress - uncheck/set to false. Then see if it makes any difference ...

I don't have a mac accessible at this moment, but I will be testing with one locally once I have the ammo.

dezzo
Topic Author

31 Oct 2008, 15:31

Yup, that did it for me. I unchecked the "useswfaddress" box then, accessed my slideshow again and the problem was cured. I have no flash on transition on my Mac OSX10.5.5, Firefox3.0.3 and Flash 10 plug in. Hooray!

However, I continue to experience the flash on the beta demo galleries on the imagevuex site.

WaveRiderXIX

31 Oct 2008, 20:30

I thought it was my graphics card or something.
But I get the same white flicker during transitions with Firefox 3 on 10.5.5.

However, works fine in Safari.
No matter which transition I pick, once I change pics, the entire window flickers white.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

02 Nov 2008, 00:11

dezzo wrote:However, I continue to experience the flash on the beta demo galleries on the imagevuex site.
Obviously, because we have SWFAddress enabled ...
WaveRiderXIX wrote:I thought it was my graphics card or something.
But I get the same white flicker during transitions with Firefox 3 on 10.5.5.

However, works fine in Safari.
No matter which transition I pick, once I change pics, the entire window flickers white.
... and did you try to disable the SWFAddress module as suggested in the posts above? It seems, that may be the culprit on the mac browser combo's that display this 'flaw' ...

stan

03 Nov 2008, 18:30

Thanks Karl,

Unchecking SWFAddress did the trick for me also!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

04 Nov 2008, 04:14

ok, looks like we have found the scapegoat ... Now need to see if there is anyway it can be solved. It's a weird bug as it only shows up on mac and then only certain combos ... why it has a visual impact at all on the SWF is also a mystery.

Perhaps I should make an option "disableIfMac" that only disables the swfaddress module on macs?

Thanks for all your valuable feedback!

WaveRiderXIX

05 Nov 2008, 01:13

Just tried it and disabled.
Works fine for me too :)

Thanks!

MacDo
Experienced

21 Nov 2008, 17:49

I think I have the same problem, but flickering does not stop even after having disabled swfaddress... But I'm on a linux platform...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

24 Nov 2008, 00:43

It seems like the problem with transition flickering has been solved with the release of an update SWFAddress javascript. At least for the culprit Mac+firefox combo.