Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

oztech74l
Topic Author

Self Hosted X3 Photo Gallery

18 Aug 2023, 08:51

Hi Karl and everyone... I have a question so please anyone with some knowledge of web hosting can throw in their 2 cents.

I do have some self hosted applications that I'm running and was thinking what would be the most ideal web server for self hosting ImageVue X3 website?

Thanks!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Self Hosted X3 Photo Gallery

19 Aug 2023, 00:23

I think your question is basically, can we recommend the best web-hosting services for X3? There are definitely many "good" web hosting services that will work nicely with X3. Most of the ones I could recommend are probably expensive ($10+ month), like Hostgator, Bluehost and InMotion hosting ... I'm sure there are several reasonably-prices hosting services, but you need to be careful with these, as some of them are awful. I think it depends on your location.

We offer flamepix.com, but this is only for X3.

I can't really make any suggestions, because we use our own servers. Maybe someone else has some recent suggestions. 

oztech74l
Topic Author

19 Aug 2023, 02:59

Hi Karl,

I meant self-hosted on Premises. I have mostly installed now using Apache2/PHP running on VM container on Ubuntu 20.04. Though I'm getting some permission errors and does not want to show the pages nicely unless I set to 777 chmod whereas it runs fin on 755 when I it was hosted remotely. 

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

19 Aug 2023, 08:42

oztech74l wrote:Though I'm getting some permission errors and does not want to show the pages nicely unless I set to 777 chmod whereas it runs fin on 755 when I it was hosted remotely. 
This is not generally related to the hosting combo. In most cases, this is related to USERS on your system, with the "system" being one user and WWW(PHP) being another user. It's likely you have installed (or uploaded) the initial X3 files as system, while WWW user is the one that needs to create pages and cache. Normally, you would want the same one owner instead of mixing owners, else you will find yourself in permissions hell. Or at least assign the initial uploaded files/dirs to the WWW-user, so it owns itself and can modify files/folders within itself without having to use 777.

For web server, you would normally run PHP on Apache or Nginx on Ubuntu.

oztech74l
Topic Author

20 Aug 2023, 05:39

Hi Karl.... You are spot on. I think it is the users permission too as I'm seeing two different users when I am changing the permissions (www and root).

Can you please elaborate more on how I can set it up to just the www user? I believe when you said system user that will be the root I am talking about.

I am using WinSCP software to upload all the files on the web server. As mentioned I am doing it on VM using Ubuntu with 20.04 running Apache2. 

oztech74l
Topic Author

20 Aug 2023, 06:04

I re-install the x3 using the x3_installer.php and then check the owner of the files and folders and via WinSCP and it says "www-data [33]" for both Owner and Group.

The original files I downloaded from my previous hosting company when I re-uploaded it to my self-host server it says the owner and group is "root [0]". I played with it by changing all the files and permissions to 777 using the same root and change the permission recursively to no avail.

oztech74l
Topic Author

20 Aug 2023, 06:54

Karl, I believe I have found the solution... I found it when I searched for "permissions" in the forum and found this viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10166&p=48897&hili ... ons#p48897.

Thanks.

I have another problem where when I am uploading an image over 2MB it returns with an error code. I know I can do it via ftp and override that problem but I know you have mentioned this before that you need to change that settings in the php file somewhere. Can you point me on that location? In the meantime I will search around again.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

20 Aug 2023, 10:30

When you use the "X3 installer", it's PHP that downloads and installs files and folders. Therefore, permissions should be correct for X3 (PHP) to operate within it's own files and folders. If you upload manually, files would belong to ROOT, whereas PHP is trying to modify and edit folders, causing a mismatch of users and permissions.
oztech74l wrote:I have another problem where when I am uploading an image over 2MB it returns with an error code. I know I can do it via ftp and override that problem but I know you have mentioned this before that you need to change that settings in the php file somewhere. Can you point me on that location? In the meantime I will search around again.
This would be your php.ini upload_max_filesize option. I don't really know where your php.ini is, it depends on server and PHP installation. It shouldn't be too hard to find, as even your own phpinfo() (available in X3 panel) will show paths to php.ini files used. After changing, you would need to restart server (or at least restart PH).
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/218 ... -file-size