Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Mi.Rog
Topic Author

Page nav

03 Feb 2017, 15:47

I have noticed that page nav arrows disappear if Page Intro picture custom height is set to 100%. No matter if it is fixed or not. I like 100% effect when fixed, especially, but I also like nav arrows to navigate from one sibling page to another, it's clever idea. I would eventually trade an aesthetic aspect for functionality - so is there any method to move arrows on top? I couldn't find one by myself yet.
Mi.Rog

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Page nav

04 Feb 2017, 00:40

That's a good question. At first, I thought I had a clear answer for you ... I had to look into the mechanics to understand what is going on. There are some logistical issues ... I'm thinking aloud:
  • First of all, it's our intention to keep the interface "clean and balanced". With some of the INTRO-modules, there is a lot going on in terms of fixed buttons (plugin-buttons, toolbar, page-nav, menu). But I guess this primarily concerns the SLIDESHOW INTRO, where there are additional slideshow controls. The start-page for instance, seems overwhelming when initial view to visitor is main menu + slideshow controls + toolbar + plugins + page-nav floating around in fixed positions. This is especially evident on small screens and mobile devices.
  • For the above reason, the page-nav is entirely disabled for the slideshow-intro.
  • I see now there is a "bug" (if you can call it that) with pagenav for OTHER intro modules: The pagenav is programmatically fixed top vertical position from where the first page CONTENT element begins (normally page TITLE). In the case of INTRO modules, pagenav therefore clearly gets pushed down a lot ... In fact, when set to 100%, the pagenav (which is FIXED), is below screen height, and will therefore never be visible.
  • Although the above is a "bug", I am not quite sure where we should position the pagenav for intro modules. The pagenav would clearly have to overlay the INTRO, unlike "normal" conditions where it would simply be aligned from where the page content begins. We would have to simply align pagenav to some vertical position, and hope for the best ... (keep in mind intros can start from top, or below menu, and can be any height ... we also need to make sure pagenav does not "crash" with toolbar and plugin buttons, and it has to always be below the main menu).
  • Since pagenav is a "progressive" enhancement, sometimes the best solution is to disable the feature when it's too difficult to deal with.
But I think we will deal with it. There are two solutions I will consider:
  1. When INTRO's are in effect, we can set the pagenav position to "absolute" instead of "fixed". The pagenav will appear below the intro module, from where the actual page content starts (normally page title). However, since the position is not "fixed", the pagenav element would scroll with the screen, and always be aligned to the page content (title). This would make the pagenav always available, without having to deal with positioning, and without interfering with INTRO modules at top of page.
  2. The other solution would be to fix the "fixed" position for pages with INTRO, and just anticipate a "best" vertical position for the pagenav.
I think I will look into #2. There should be an update next week.

Mi.Rog
Topic Author

04 Feb 2017, 14:17

Personally I think that simple solutions are the best ones, so the #2 sounds good for a month X3 user  :slight_smile:Maybe place it somewhere in 2/3 of the screen with an option to turn it off?
Mi.Rog

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

21 Feb 2017, 05:07

This should be somewhat resolved in X3 0.22:
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9237

GGANG
Experienced

08 Mar 2017, 01:30

Why doesn't page nav relate to "Menu label" setting ?
Its appear by the letters of link URL.
http://ivx.gallery

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Mar 2017, 01:56

GGANG wrote:Why doesn't page nav relate to "Menu label" setting ?
Its appear by the letters of link URL.
Good question, but has an explanation related to performance:

Pagenav buttons are created from a list of the page's sibling pages, and links are created from the sibling paths. If we want to extract LABEL for sibling pages, technically it means we need to create a full page-object for the two sibling pages (loading JSON data files and more), instead of just using the sibling folder-name. Thus, the page creation process for a page with pagenav would require processing THREE page-objects, instead of just ONE.

Sorry, I understand this technicality should not be of concern to the user, but for now this is a compromise that we wish to include in our non-database X3 CMS, for maximum efficiency.