Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

boomtastic
Topic Author

Panel Icons Incorrect After File Rename

30 Jun 2023, 10:43

I apologize if this has been discussed - I couldn't find anything in a wide Search of the forums.

I'm running X3.31.1 and uploading pictures through the admin panel. I have found that when I rename the pictures, if the file name was already used, the icon does not update to the newer picture. For instance let's say I have 10 pictures labeled as 001.jpg, 002.jpg, 003.jpg and so on up to 010.jpg. If I need to move the pictures around to be in chronological order, I change the names so they are displayed as such. The issue comes when I "re use" the name. Using the same hypothetical files as earlier, let's delete 001.jpg and rename 009.jpg to 001.jpg. The icon will still show the original 001.jpg file. If you click on the renamed file it shows a larger version of the icon. In the actual Gallery it shows the correct picture, but in the Panel - where you need to know what the picture really is - it is incorrect. I suspect that this is a cache issue with the system, but I can't find anywhere to purge or reset it.

Hopefully this makes sense. (?)

Thanks in advance.

metallissimus
Experienced

Re: Panel Icons Incorrect After File Rename

30 Jun 2023, 11:48

I had that problem as well. If I remember correctly, the solution was TOOLS -> Cache -> Image cache -> delete.

I recommend using this for the folder in question only and running the simulation first.
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

boomtastic
Topic Author

30 Jun 2023, 12:32

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately that didn't work for me.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

30 Jun 2023, 22:24

This is CACHE related. If you have image-1.jpg, rename it and then later rename a DIFFERENT image to image-1.jpg, the browser will still look for /path/to/image-1.jpg and serve it from cache (if cached). The file name would also cache on potential CDN services like Cloudflare. The same would apply for thumbnails in X3, as render/w200-c1.1/path/image.jpg could also be cached in browser and CDN. This is how cache, works, as it's not going to compare the cached version with the version on server, as that would require loading the version on server first, rendering cache pointless.

The short story is, you should make a point of not renaming images to names that may have existed earlier. Personally, if I had to rename files, I would consider "versioning" as in incrementing numbers or names somehow, to avoid clash with former names.
boomtastic wrote:If I need to move the pictures around to be in chronological order, I change the names so they are displayed as such.
Were you aware that you can drag-and-drop images into order instead of renaming them? Click the "sort" button until you are in "custom sort" mode.

boomtastic wrote:I had that problem as well. If I remember correctly, the solution was TOOLS -> Cache -> Image cache -> delete.
This may also be related, specifically to thumbnails, but this alone may not fix it if images also get cached in browser.