X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

sprocket
Experienced
Topic Author

Site Preview Pic

07 Oct 2016, 11:25

Hey Karl,
I'm wondering how to get MY preview image pic to show up for my website when sending my site's url as a text message. For example, if I text the url to your website https://flamepix.com/, I get a nice preview picture (of your home page) along with the title, link and description. If I text my website link, I get the 'default preview' picture along with the title, link and description. Using my browser,  I've check the source code of my site and the open graph metadata is there (like it is on yours), but perhaps text messages don't use that info. I don't understand it enough to get it working. How do I get MY preview picture from my website to show when texting my sites link?
Thanks

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Site Preview Pic

07 Oct 2016, 12:51

First of all, it would help with a link to your website ... Did you even set a PREVIEW image for your index page? X3 uses the following priorities to decide the preview image for any page (including index), which is used when sharing on social media:
  1. Is preview set in your Page -> Details -> Preview Image? You can use an image that is in the same folder, or link to an image in another folder using a root-relative path.
  2. If you have NOT assigned a preview image, X3 will look for the first image it can find in the folder.
  3. If you have NOT assigned a preview image AND there are no images in the folder, X3 will use the "Default Preview Image" found under Settings -> Page -> Details -> Default Preview Image.
In your case, I am guessing you have not assigned a specific preview image for your index page, AND you have no images in your index folder. Thus, X3 will fallback to the DEFAULT preview image setting, which is normally "1.index/preview.jpg". Unless you have changed this image, or the path setting, then it will naturally link to the default image from sample content.

Since I don't have any link, it's still unclear to me what you have there now ... but as you may understand from the points above, you need to either 1) ASSIGN a preview image to your index page, or 2) Upload an image __something.jpg to your index page, that will automatically work as the preview image, or 3) Define your own "default" preview image, which will act as preview image for pages that don't contain their own images. X3 doesn't "create" preview images for you from snapshots of the website or anything (that's not possible) ...

sprocket
Experienced
Topic Author

07 Oct 2016, 13:30

Did you even set a PREVIEW image for your index page?
Yes the preview image has been set for the index page. I replaced the preview.jpg with my own image and set it as the preview image. I will add though, I use a slideshow on my home page, and with that use the 'Gallery Assets" option. The preview picture does not actually ever show up anywhere on my site by design.
Is preview set in your Page -> Details -> Preview Image? You can use an image that is in the same folder, or link to an image in another folder using a root-relative path.
The index Preview Image is set as mentioned above.
If you have NOT assigned a preview image AND there are no images in the folder, X3 will use the "Default Preview Image" found under Settings -> Page -> Details -> Default Preview Image.
Yes 'Default Image Preview' is set to the following.
1.index/preview.jpg

If you need a link to troubleshoot, I will PM it to you
Thanks

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Oct 2016, 01:58

Still no link, so I am not sure what I am trying to answer here. All I can figure out is "I get the 'default preview'", which I am guessing means you are getting the one assigned in the demo content.

Answer
Your index page is using the preview image that you have assigned to it. If you think you have assigned a different image than the one that is showing, then please provide a link.

I went ahead and checked the domain I have linked to your email, and it shares this:

Sometimes, you need to refresh the Facebook sharing cache from the following link:
https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/
Add the URL, click "debug", then click "scrape again". This is nothing we can fix from within X3.

PS! You are having some "warnings" because you have multiple domains to access your website, both WWW- and non-WWW versions. See my post here:
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=9080

sprocket
Experienced
Topic Author

08 Oct 2016, 10:47

Still no link, so I am not sure what I am trying to answer here
Site is not done, thus why I told you I would PM you the link if needed. (never mind)
Sometimes, you need to refresh the Facebook sharing cache from the following link:
That is the proper preview image I'm trying to get, but I never said anything about facebook
I'm talking about using a cell/mobile phone and texting a website's url. Works fine with your site, but not mine.
preview.jpg
preview.jpg (25.6 KiB) Viewed 5224 times
PS! You are having some "warnings" because you have multiple domains to access your website, both WWW- and non-WWW versions.
Thanks, I'll look into fixing the multiple access issue

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Oct 2016, 11:00

sprocket wrote:That is the proper preview image I'm trying to get, but I never said anything about facebook
I'm talking about using a cell/mobile phone and texting a website's url. Works fine with your site, but not mine.
Facebook uses the SAME <og:image> tag as any other service/application would use anyway, so that's why I used that as an example ... 100% sure it is one of the following issues:
  1. The service you are referring to (I just see a screenshot), is caching results, including preview-image before you changed it. Facebook does this, and likely other social services also.
  2. It could also be somehow the image is cached in your server (perhaps you are using cloudflare?).
  3. ... you simply haven't changed the preview-image.
If you can verify the link (is it the one I tested?), I can tell you which of the 3 issues above it is ... In any case, not something we can fix from X3. X3 correctly sets the document <og:image> preview image based on your choices (just check the source code) ... If other services use cached share-results, or the image itself is cached out from your website, this is not something we have any external control of from the X3 application.

sprocket
Experienced
Topic Author

09 Oct 2016, 12:39

Thanks Carl,
I now understand that it's my cell phone's messaging software that has cached the wrong preview picture and that my site has it setup correctly.