Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

snappa
Topic Author

PHP session.save-path directory does not exist.

08 Oct 2016, 07:33

Just done a new install of  latest Version o.19.0 of X3.

After going to site :  " www,noelmccarthy.com/X3a"     I got this error message on Diagnostics:

"PHP session.save-path directory does not exist.

Your server session.save_path is set to 4;/hermes/phpsessions, but this directory does not exist. Without a correctly set path, you will not be able to login to the panel, because X3 cannot save the login-session. The session.save_path is set from your server php.ini file."

Contact your host!

I contacted my host and this is their reply:

"Hello Noel, 

We have updated the session.save_path to 4;/hermes/phpsessions for many reasons, but in general terms, it is for the betterment of the shared hosting platform. We had several large known issues recently where sessions would not save properly with a custom written save path inside the customer's account. This is because if the sessions are saved inside your account and we recompile PHP on our side, all of your sessions will break. Also, saving sessions in "4;/hermes/phpsessions" makes the sessions non-web accessible for some accounts. Depending on when the account was set up and which directory domains are pointing to on the account, the session data can be web accessible for malicious visitors to view. Saving the sessions in "4;/hermes/phpsessions" keeps the session data from prying eyes. 

I have checked your session at: http://www.noelmccarthy.com/x3a/testsession.php and it is working properly. Every time the page is refreshed, 1 is added to the previous number. So, please contact the application provider and check further on the issue. 

If you have any further questions, please chat with us at http://www.dot5hosting.com/chat/ . "

not sure what is happening please advise!

Noel

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: PHP session.save-path directory does not exist.

08 Oct 2016, 09:02

That's interesting ... Questions:
  • Was the X3 panel working earlier for you before you updated to 0.19?
  • More importantly, does your X3 panel actually WORK now (after login), regardless of the error?
X3 does not SET set any sessions.path ... We just read from your server, that the path is set to "4;/hermes/phpsessions", and then we check if that path is writeable, which it is NOT per PHP is_writeable(). In their testsession.php, I am not sure what they have done ... Either 1) They have defined a custom sessions path (which is not something X3 will do for you), or 2) This folder is in fact writeable although it returns not writeable.

My guess is that it is 2), and you can still use the panel, and simply ignore the error message.

If you have FTP login for me, I would like to do some tests ... I had a chat with the hosting provider, but they were not willing til help me without answering your security questions.

snappa
Topic Author

08 Oct 2016, 22:40

I can access the panel, change the password and all seems to be working.

I was just worried when I saw the critical message in Diagnostics.

I have sent my login info to your email. 

Be interested to know what you find.

Many thanks

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

09 Oct 2016, 00:36

I can't seem to find an email from you yet (unless it is delayed), but I don't think it is important. Everything seems to be working fine on your server, and we can conclude the following:

Your server returns the sessions path like this: "4;/hermes/phpsessions", and to be honest I am not sure what the "4;" in front of the path means. It doesn't seem to be part of a valid path, although your sessions are clearly working. In new pending release, I have added a fix for diagnostics so it strips away the part before first slash "/" before checking if the path exists.

If you want, you can update the following file, and see if anything changes:
/app/x3.diagnostics.php

polosatiy

24 Nov 2016, 15:30

Hello. If I run diagnostics, I get an error - "PHP session.save-path directory does not exist." . I'm using memcached. How to be? I disabled automatic diagnostics. In php settings 
Code
session.save_path = "tcp://127.0.0.1:11211"

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

24 Nov 2016, 22:36

polosatiy wrote:Hello. If I run diagnostics, I get an error - "PHP session.save-path directory does not exist." . I'm using memcached. How to be? I disabled automatic diagnostics.
Does your X3 panel login work? This is likely a false alarm by X3 diagnostics, and can be ignored. I will try to fix it in next release (for memcache), but we need a way to detect if users SESSION save path exists and is writeable.

polosatiy

28 Nov 2016, 16:26

mjau-mjau wrote:
polosatiy wrote:Hello. If I run diagnostics, I get an error - "PHP session.save-path directory does not exist." . I'm using memcached. How to be? I disabled automatic diagnostics.
Does your X3 panel login work? This is likely a false alarm by X3 diagnostics, and can be ignored. I will try to fix it in next release (for memcache), but we need a way to detect if users SESSION save path exists and is writeable.
Yes, working with the connected database. In normal mode also works. I was surprised, it works, but it gives an error. I am confused by the fact that, without any authorization and diagnostic off, link domain/?diagnostics works, the way it should be?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

28 Nov 2016, 23:12

polosatiy wrote:Yes, working with the connected database. In normal mode also works. I was surprised, it works, but it gives an error.
Yep, so it was a false positive because you are using memcached. Some users have a session path on disk that does not exist, or is not writeable, and we need a test in place to intercept this.
polosatiy wrote: I am confused by the fact that, without any authorization and diagnostic off, link domain/?diagnostics works, the way it should be?
It is designed that way yes, so that one can easily diagnose issues that X3 may run into. It helps the user (and me) to easily diagnose issues, on new installs and when upgrading. I can understand your concern, but first of all, who will see this? Nobody, unless they consciously add ?diagnostics to URL. And what harm is done? I can't see how anything in diagnostics could be used for anything malevolent. PHP version?

polosatiy

29 Nov 2016, 12:30

Yep, so it was a false positive because you are using memcached. Some users have a session path on disk that does not exist, or is not writeable, and we need a test in place to intercept this.
if necessary, I can help!
It is designed that way yes, so that one can easily diagnose issues that X3 may run into. It helps the user (and me) to easily diagnose issues, on new installs and when upgrading. I can understand your concern, but first of all, who will see this? Nobody, unless they consciously add ?diagnostics to URL. And what harm is done? I can't see how anything in diagnostics could be used for anything malevolent. PHP version?
Critical No. As soon as the software version, configure php, Apache modules, the full path of the site. ))))

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

29 Nov 2016, 22:14

polosatiy wrote:if necessary, I can help!
There is no "perfect way" to diagnose session.save_path, but in this case, I will likely just adjust it to ignore paths that start with "tcp:" (tcp://127.0.0.1:11211"), or contain protocol// paths.
polosatiy wrote:Critical No. As soon as the software version, configure php, Apache modules, the full path of the site. ))))
It lists PHP and Apache modules, which are required by X3, and installed on 99% of all servers anyway, and can't be used for anything for anything harmful. It also lists relative server path of X3 website yes, but so what? The path can only be used if your website is already hacked ... and if it's already hacked, they can read $DOCUMENT_ROOT path anyway.

Anyway, you are probably right. It's normal for any server admin to wish to hide all server-related settings, even if they are harmless. I will look into an option ... I just don't like that it means people will be posting their problems in the forums, with diagnostics disabled, making it impossible for me to reply properly.

polosatiy

30 Nov 2016, 14:04

It lists PHP and Apache modules, which are required by X3, and installed on 99% of all servers anyway, and can't be used for anything for anything harmful. It also lists relative server path of X3 website yes, but so what? The path can only be used if your website is already hacked ... and if it's already hacked, they can read $DOCUMENT_ROOT path anyway.

Anyway, you are probably right. It's normal for any server admin to wish to hide all server-related settings, even if they are harmless. I will look into an option ... I just don't like that it means people will be posting their problems in the forums, with diagnostics disabled, making it impossible for me to reply properly.
I understood. Thank you so much!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

21 Feb 2017, 21:49

Just for reference, this issue was fixed in X3 0.22:
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9237

Diagnostics no longer checks the session save-path unless it's a standard path (eg /var/sessions/).

polosatiy

10 Mar 2017, 13:22

mjau-mjau wrote:
Just for reference, this issue was fixed in X3 0.22:
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9237

Diagnostics no longer checks the session save-path unless it's a standard path (eg /var/sessions/).
Thank you!

miamiphoto

22 May 2017, 04:51

I have the same problem with the latest version
PHP session.save-path directory is not writeable.
anche the login page with admin admin login me but do not work.
the server is aruba under windows, but id necessary i can change to linux.

the file.htacess have to save in root of the site, but is there a link to set for the correct folder where the folder x3
has saved?

thanks

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

22 May 2017, 10:40

miamiphoto wrote:I have the same problem with the latest version
PHP session.save-path directory is not writeable. anche the login page with admin admin login me but do not work.
If it reports "PHP session.save-path directory is not writeable", it means exactly that ... Your server has assigned a session-save path which is not writeable. This means you cannot LOGIN to the panel, because X3 cannot save the session in your session-path.

May I see the link to your website? Your host needs to fix this! Feel free to send them this link. How is one supposed to support a login application if session save path is not writeable? I have dealt with this earlier, and the host had to fix their session save path settings.
miamiphoto wrote:the server is aruba under windows, but id necessary i can change to linux.
If you don't have anything on your website that requires Windows (which is unlikely), I would definitely recommend that you move to LINUX asap. Linux/Apache is the web-standard for hosting, and our X3 (and most other apps) are prepared specifically for this platform. This will likely solve your session save-path issue also.