Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

how to get a website-gallery on an unconnected monitor

04 Jun 2023, 04:05

one of my x3-website-galleries are displayed in an exhibition, continuously, in fullscreenmode etc, but on a monitor without pc, just with an usb-stick or sd-card. there is no lan or wlan available. what they did is recording the "slideshow", resulting in a kind of video, compressed, put on a stick. then they cut away the timeline on top, resulting in a smaller image with less quality. as the monitor used is a very small one (22') the titles of the images became almost unreadable. my question here is if there is any better way, best to have the ORIGINAL of that slideshow on that unconnected monitor? any ideas welcome!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: how to get a website-gallery on an unconnected monitor

04 Jun 2023, 07:11

Well, if I was going to show a slideshow of images on a screen, I probably wouldn't use X3 at all. For example, if I was using a Smart-TV, I would connect the usb-stick, and the smart TV could display the images in a nice slideshow, un-compressed. Alternatively, if I connected to the screen with my Macbook, I would use the photos app to create a nifty slideshow (similar exists for Windows) ... This is normally better and smoother than any solutions in the browser.

If I really needed to use X3, I would need my laptop or a computer connected to the screen of course ... You can't just run x3 from a USB-stick. It's possible to run X3 without internet, but then you would need to have a basic "server" running on the computer/laptop.

Seems a bit overkill to use X3 for a real-life exhibition slideshow, no? Especially if there is no internet and no PC? You simply can't run X3 without a PC/Mac unfortunately ... And I can't see any useful workaround to try to create a static version of X3. If you just use a "stick", you only have options to play video or images on the screen anyway ... Personally, I would opt to show the images on screen in a native slideshow, this way they aren't compressed (like when using video).

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

05 Jun 2023, 06:15

do you by chance know about any tool that can use "content" from images metadata to show up in the slideshow, somehow like I use it in mine (like f.i. here - click on any image to start it)?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

05 Jun 2023, 23:29

ed_f wrote: do you by chance know about any tool that can use "content" from images metadata to show up in the slideshow, somehow like I use it in mine (like f.i. here - click on any image to start it)?
I doubt that is possible with "USB stick only", because that would require the smart-TV's own slideshow application to be able to display image meta data ... which is doubtful. If you have a computer/Mac connected, there might be an application ... If the TV has "Google TV" or "Android TV", there might exist an app in play.google.com/store that has capabilities to display captions from exif/iptc.

In reality, I think you will have to connect a computer to the screen if you want to display captions. Or the TV would have to be a "smart TV Android/Google" with internet, which should provide some alternatives. I can't imagine any better solutions with only USB stick and no internet.

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

06 Jun 2023, 03:30

thanks for the thoughts, karl! seems they saved at the wrong end.