Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

tonhendriks
Topic Author

photos & captions

30 May 2016, 08:03

Hi Karl, The next question is more complicated. It has to do with the idea that photography is not anymore only a matter of showing a nice portfolio but more a way of visual story telling. That means I must be possible to combine photography with texts. As I write with my photos I want to put the text together with my images. In Imagevue the captions of the photographs are put a semi-transparent way over the photos.
CAPTIONS ON PHOTOGRAPHS.jpg
This how the caption partly obscure the image
CAPTIONS ON PHOTOGRAPHS.jpg (137.1 KiB) Viewed 2997 times
This is a pity for the image itself and does not give enough room to make larger captions. On my Iphone they cover all the image.
captions on Iphone.jpg
On the iPhone the whole image is under the text
captions on Iphone.jpg (98.45 KiB) Viewed 2997 times
So in fact I am looking for a way to put the texts under or left or right to the images, so there is space enough on the page to read it. I have done I myself by just creating an image in which I have written the captions, but that is not a beautiful solution.
SELFMADE TEXT IN THE IMAGE.jpg
This is my selfmade solution to put text near the photo: this would be great to have in real words.
SELFMADE TEXT IN THE IMAGE.jpg (89.61 KiB) Viewed 2997 times
Is it possible to create a slideshow configuration in which there is an option to put texts near the photographs, so the visitor can see/read it as one story?

Thanks again, Ton Hendriks

I include some images as illustrations
Ton Hendriks Photography Holland website: www.tonhendriks.nl

Martin
Experienced

Re: photos & captions

30 May 2016, 12:14

I think you could use this layout:
https://demo.photo.gallery/examples/variations/split/

The text can be put in the image description.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: photos & captions

30 May 2016, 13:32

As noted by Martin, there are other layout methods available if you want to focus on clear and functional image descriptions. Unfortunately, the slideshow layout is not logically practical for large descriptions, since the slideshow focuses on filling the device screen with the image. As you can see in your own mobile screenshot, there is no way we can squeeze description and image into the same viewport.

You will need to rely on layouts that include scrolling mechanisms in modern browsing if you want visitors on all screen sizes to be able to experience a relatively functional layout for images with large descriptions. Not sure if you envisioned something else, but modern gallery layouts in 2016 all have compromises compared to one another.

That's why X3 offers so many gallery layout options, but there is by no means one layout to rule them all.