Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

KarEm
Topic Author

Upload duplicates pictures

22 Apr 2018, 16:36

Hello Karl,

We observe a strange behavior when uploading photos.
By "click to add files" the 17 to be uploaded pictures are selected and uploaded (Sreenshot-1).
When the upload is done, different numbers of duplicates of the pictures are created (Sreenshot-2).

If only a few images are uploaded, there are no duplicates.

What causes this problem and how is it solvable? Please let me know if you need additional information for an analysis / solution.

Thanks
KarEm
Attachments
Screenshot-1.jpg
Screenshot-1.jpg (399.17 KiB) Viewed 6141 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Upload duplicates pictures

23 Apr 2018, 00:30

I have seen this behaviour before on Aruba hosting servers. I am guessing it is the same issue, although I am not 100% sure. Basically there is some kinda cache-bug with symlinks (used by resized image). See the post here.

Try this: Go to Settings > Advanced > Image Resizer and DISABLE "Symlink request cache".

If that does not work, I will need link/login to your X3 panel to diagnose further.

KarEm
Topic Author

23 Apr 2018, 04:04

Hello Karl,
thanks for your fast response.
According to your proposal I've disabled this "Symlink request cache" and made afterwards some tests.

I tried to upload several different quantities (19, 20, 38 ) and no duplicates occurred but different warnings were issued.
In one test not a single picture was uploaded (refer to screenshot_3), in another test, almost all images were uploaded (screenshot_4).

We've done this experience several times before and managed it by reducing the number of images in a single upload (about 20).

Attached please find the 2 additional sreenshots with these warnings.

Btw, our host is the Strato (a German company).

Regards
KarEm
Attachments
Screenshot-3.jpg
Screenshot-3.jpg (116.98 KiB) Viewed 6133 times

illunis
Experienced

23 Apr 2018, 04:24

Hi there,
had the same problem.
Had to contact my host to send me the Apache logs.....i found out that the 'upload.php' was somehow deleted..i re-uploaded and all is working.

KarEm
Topic Author

23 Apr 2018, 05:42

Hi illunis,

thanks for this hint. I'll also have a look about it.

Regards
KarEm

KarEm
Topic Author

23 Apr 2018, 05:52

Hi illunis,

both "upload.php"- files are in place, one in the folder ...x3/panel, the second in x3/panel/filemanager_user.

Thx
KarEm

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

23 Apr 2018, 06:02

Well, it seems you have TWO different problems now. The "symlink request cache" setting has absolutely nothing to do with UPLOADING. Instead, it's related to how images get resized AFTER the image is uploaded (and only if they get uploaded). The setting you changed has no affect on the upload process.

So first, you need to resolve the UPLOAD problem. To me, it looks like problems with the images. I can check if you have panel login for me.

I see a bunch of request timeouts and unknown errors. Looks network/image related.

illunis
Experienced

23 Apr 2018, 11:09

Hello again,
yeah i guess they are not related....only the error message "Unknown Error" is the same.
Karl do you think the logging of X3 could show more info on things like that?...missing files etc?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

23 Apr 2018, 13:11

illunis wrote:yeah i guess they are not related....only the error message "Unknown Error" is the same.
Karl do you think the logging of X3 could show more info on things like that?...missing files etc?
Not really related to this topic, as the issue with "duplicate photos" is a server bug, and the timeouts and errors are not related to missing files (not normally at least). The "unknown error" is simply a failed upload, and X3 itself often doesn't know why an upload fails. It can be firewall, corrupt files, network problems or insufficient storage space, which in all cases doesn't report back to X3. The upload just fails or times out.

As for your case with "missing file", I was surprised to hear this. Why was it missing? Although it could be technically possible for an app (like X3) to continuously validate that ALL files exist on server, this is not a practical or logical approach. It would be slow, and files can still be corrupt. I don't think any other apps do this, and it should not essentially be X3's responsibility to make sure all files exist. This should be a requirement for any app.

Having said that, there is always room for improved error reporting of course.

illunis
Experienced

23 Apr 2018, 14:42

mjau-mjau wrote:
illunis wrote:yeah i guess they are not related....only the error message "Unknown Error" is the same.
Not really related to this topic, as the issue with "duplicate photos" is a server bug, and the timeouts and errors are not related to missing files (not normally at least). The "unknown error" is simply a failed upload, and X3 itself often doesn't know why an upload fails. It can be firewall, corrupt files, network problems or insufficient storage space, which in all cases doesn't report back to X3. The upload just fails or times out.

As for your case with "missing file", I was surprised to hear this. Why was it missing? Although it could be technically possible for an app (like X3) to continuously validate that ALL files exist on server, this is not a practical or logical approach. It would be slow, and files can still be corrupt. I don't think any other apps do this, and it should not essentially be X3's responsibility to make sure all files exist. This should be a requirement for any app.

Having said that, there is always room for improved error reporting of course.
I am starting a new thread to keep the two subjects separate