X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

netmax
Experienced
Topic Author

Frontend page was not working, server restart needed

25 Mar 2016, 15:31

Hi,

today I found my photo site not working in the frontend. It took a long time to even get the black background, then the orange "worm" circled forever. Checked from two different computers with two different internet connections.

Server CPU was relaxed, all other sites on that server were working fast as usual. Also the X3 panel was working fast and without any issues.

As a last point I've restarted the complete server. It was working then, but still very slow. Speed has increased within the next 1-2 hours to normal.

This is very strange, I've disabled the X3 CDN loading of the js etc. just in case that the CDN has an issue, but that did not help. Are there any 3rd party contend which is downloaded and which may have caused this problem (I saw some google font links in the source, can this be moved to local so the site is 100% independant from these things?)

Any ideas are welcome.

Marco

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Frontend page was not working, server restart needed

26 Mar 2016, 01:44

Where are you based? Just to be clear, restarting server would not have anything to do with loading external resources. I would have liked to see your page when it was not working, I could diagnose exactly what was wrong.

As for the CDN, you have turned it off, although this is likely a bad solution for your visitors. The CDN-based X3 JS/CSS files (if related to the issue at all), are hosted on a super-fast globally distributed network (Amazon Cloudfront). If you had problems with these files, it would be your internet connection or firewall.

... and yes, X3 uses Google fonts ... but why on earth would you want to move this to local and expect it to be better? The Amazon CDN and Google CDN are much more reliable and faster than your own hosting. If external resources was the problem, it was your own internet, and not something an average visitor experiences.
then the orange "worm" circled forever
It does sound like you had some temporary loading problem of some file. Impossible to know without diagnosing. One thing is for sure: If it was related to loading external resources, then restarting the server is entirely unrelated.

netmax
Experienced
Topic Author

27 Mar 2016, 10:38

Hi Karl,

yes ... under normal circumstances I'd given you access to check what was wrong, but we've just released a new article with photos in the album so I needed it back online ASAP. I'm based in Germany.

Disabling the CDN was just a test (in case the CDN had a problem), but it did not help and was reset to on immediately after the test. Having it extremely slow even after the server restart showed me that it seems to be nothing related to the server hence my thoughts in direction to an external source which causes the problem.

If this should happen again I hope it's a bit more relaxed situation so I can give you access to check. Anything I could check / do in this case (just in case that it starts working again until you have the chance to have a look)?

Thanks,
Marco

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

27 Mar 2016, 12:36

Well, "slow" and "not working" would be two different topics. I can only understand the issue if you can provide a link if it occurs again. If you did see the yellow spinner, it seems like the page document is loaded, but it's having problems loading some resource.
Anything I could check / do in this case (just in case that it starts working again until you have the chance to have a look)?
Use chrome developer tools, and view the "network" tab to see what's loading and what's not loading.