X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

netmax
Experienced
Topic Author

How to sort the image display by date

07 Feb 2016, 11:27

Hi there,

I've purchased a V3 license today as I want to start getting rid of Flash (more and more users are complaining about this). I've spent some hours today to get a feeling what is possible with X3 and think in major things I know how to do it.

Some things are more complicated compared to V2 (like setting a preview image which was a simple click on the image in V2), but that's not a showstopper.

But now I have a complete show stopper for the transition, it seems I'm too stupid to set the sorting in the galleries to sort the images by date and time.

My wife and I are often taking photos of the same events in parallel. Before we sync the clocks of our cameras so we get our selected pictures in the same timeline and in the right timely order in the gallery. That works quite good with "sort by date" in V2.

But in V3 I see just "Ascending", "Descending" and "Shuffle" in the page settings for the gallery - I do not see the item what should be the sorting criteria. In my case "date" (ideally the EXIF date, but if it would be the file date that's a thing I can bulk create from the EXIF of the files).

I've seen that manually sorting of images is a thing for the next few weeks - but how do I set the sorting to the recording date/time?

Thanks for your help
Marco

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: How to sort the image display by date

07 Feb 2016, 22:04

netmax wrote:But in V3 I see just "Ascending", "Descending" and "Shuffle" in the page settings for the gallery - I do not see the item what should be the sorting criteria. In my case "date" (ideally the EXIF date, but if it would be the file date that's a thing I can bulk create from the EXIF of the files).
For technical reasons, sorting is for now limited to Ascending, Descending and Shuffle. We have already understood that this is a feature requested by many, so will be looking into it ASAP. I will probably look into it this week, but need to see how big the task is before I can guarantee an immediate fix.

For now, you would need to use the filenames for creating your order. Recommended method being to simply prepend a number 1.firstimage, 2.second etc.

PS! Why is this a technical issue? From an X3 app that doesn't use DB, we rely heavily on file names to create order. If we are to use image date (either file date or exif date), it requires looping through images in the file-system, and extracting info before sorting, which could be a time-consuming server operation. Obviously, this should not be the concern of the user.

netmax
Experienced
Topic Author

08 Feb 2016, 05:39

Hi Karl,

OK - thank you for the info. I did not finally understand that this is currently not implemented but I highly appreciate that this is your next task.

I understand from the technical background - but X2 did this the same way and the speed was fine. I need to 100% rely on sorting by (EXIF) date and it'll not be possible for me to change the filenames of 100's existing X2 photos to achieve the sorting, so I'll wait for this to be ready.

BTW: I've seen that I could use a MySQL in X3 - so I guess you recommend to do this?

Last question for now: Where do I create additional admin users?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Feb 2016, 13:44

netmax wrote:I understand from the technical background - but X2 did this the same way and the speed was fine. I need to 100% rely on sorting by (EXIF) date and it'll not be possible for me to change the filenames of 100's existing X2 photos to achieve the sorting, so I'll wait for this to be ready.
It would be debatable how fast X2 was, but yes, sort-by-date certainly is one of the remaining few features that X2 does better than X3 (actually, that X3 does not yet do at all).
netmax wrote:BTW: I've seen that I could use a MySQL in X3 - so I guess you recommend to do this?
This is ONLY for the admin panel, so that USERS are created and logged from a database. The only advantage of using database version of panel, is that it allows multiple users.
netmax wrote:Last question for now: Where do I create additional admin users?
So ... multiple admin users, requires the DB panel version.

netmax
Experienced
Topic Author

08 Feb 2016, 14:03

Hi Karl,

OK ... so there's the solution for my multiple users. But I ran into the next problem :evil:

I have switched from local authentication to database support ... OK, it told me that I'm logged out but how can I log in again? My created admin login data is not working and in phpmyadmin it shows the database empty.

I guess I need again help ... I'm locked out :roll:

netmax
Experienced
Topic Author

08 Feb 2016, 14:07

OK, got it - I found the solution in the forum, running the install again.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

09 Feb 2016, 00:27

netmax wrote:OK, got it - I found the solution in the forum, running the install again.
Good. Sorry, the DB-panel documentation needs to be prepared, as it requires 1. setting DB-credentials in panel, 2. auto logout, 3. install, 4.login.

There are already improvements for this mechanism in forthcoming release.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

15 Mar 2016, 12:17

To reference the original post, sort by DATE is now added to X3, and is pending for release within 1-2 weeks.

netmax
Experienced
Topic Author

15 Mar 2016, 12:49

Cool, thanks Karl! :-)

Is this EXIF date?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

15 Mar 2016, 13:41

netmax wrote:Is this EXIF date?
Yes.
Date - Sorts images by date. This option uses the image's own EXIF date, which is normally from when the photo is taken. If there is no EXIF date, server-date will be used instead, which is normally from when the file is uploaded.

netmax
Experienced
Topic Author

15 Mar 2016, 14:34

Awesome!!! Can't wait for it, great work! ;-)