Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

hwat
Topic Author

Few questions

05 May 2011, 13:32

Hello guys.
First, thanks a lot for Imagevue. This is great script — solid, rich, with nice admin.

I'm a web-designer, so I'm planning to use it to showcase my works. And here come some questions (or even feature requests) before buying. Yeah, I say before buying because I'm russian pirate and I use nulled script 2.6.4 which I've found on some forum. But still, I really want to buy it, lets judge the situation as shareware or test-drive )

1. Zoom. Is there any option not to allow zoom more than 100%? I see why zooming may be useful, but in web-design, where graphic is pixel-sharp, zooming more than 100% is really ruins all the impression.

2. Close button. When I post images with really big height (screenshots of long pages), the image opens somewhere in the middle and its almost impossible to scroll up all way to top — to see this close button and close, even if you for some reason know that it should be there (for usual user it not obvious, you know). It just stops scrolling when I'm not yet there, on the top. So I can't close the image and the only way to exit is to switch to another picture. Since there is no any more close buttons in interface its very annoying. Is there any way to relocate close button (css?) or add another obvious option to close the image?

3. Since my folders contain very few shots, visitor has to use menu often. Maybe there is a possibility to watch images from all subfolders? I mean if we are in folder "Sites" and watching Site1 — after last picture switch to Site2 subfolder and continue the show?

Thats all folks, sorry for my russian english and being evil pirate for a while.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Few questions

06 May 2011, 03:27

hwat wrote:Hello guys.
First, thanks a lot for Imagevue. This is great script — solid, rich, with nice admin.

I'm a web-designer, so I'm planning to use it to showcase my works. And here come some questions (or even feature requests) before buying. Yeah, I say before buying because I'm russian pirate and I use nulled script 2.6.4 which I've found on some forum. But still, I really want to buy it, lets judge the situation as shareware or test-drive )
Thanks ... Just for the record, I think you will find that the pirated imagevue versions still require authorization as to not display the link-tab after you get a certain amount of hits.
hwat wrote:1. Zoom. Is there any option not to allow zoom more than 100%? I see why zooming may be useful, but in web-design, where graphic is pixel-sharp, zooming more than 100% is really ruins all the impression.
Well, you can turn OFF the zoom functionality, and this will cause your images to display at 100% if the screen is large enough and only scale down if the screen is too small.
hwat wrote:2. Close button. When I post images with really big height (screenshots of long pages), the image opens somewhere in the middle and its almost impossible to scroll up all way to top — to see this close button and close, even if you for some reason know that it should be there (for usual user it not obvious, you know). It just stops scrolling when I'm not yet there, on the top. So I can't close the image and the only way to exit is to switch to another picture. Since there is no any more close buttons in interface its very annoying. Is there any way to relocate close button (css?) or add another obvious option to close the image?
You can add the close button to the maincontrols that hover below the image. For the zoom experience, unfortunately we have not managed to accommodate all functionality as when the image is scaled down.
hwat wrote:3. Since my folders contain very few shots, visitor has to use menu often. Maybe there is a possibility to watch images from all subfolders? I mean if we are in folder "Sites" and watching Site1 — after last picture switch to Site2 subfolder and continue the show?
You can set up ENDLOOP to link to another gallery, but this only works in slideshow mode (when slideshow is automatically running). It would be wrong to force the visitor into loading another gallery after they click the "next" button after the last image.

hwat
Topic Author

06 May 2011, 04:02

mjau-mjau wrote: Thanks ... Just for the record, I think you will find that the pirated imagevue versions still require authorization as to not display the link-tab after you get a certain amount of hits.
I'm aware of that, but still, better try it in work than just reading site and watching demos.
mjau-mjau wrote: Well, you can turn OFF the zoom functionality, and this will cause your images to display at 100% if the screen is large enough and only scale down if the screen is too small.
Thats exactly what I want, but I see only 4 ways of scaling, one of them is "original" which is kinda does not scale down when screen is small — and others are fitting areas. There is also "original optimized" check but I don't see any difference with its on or off. So how do I do that?
mjau-mjau wrote: You can add the close button to the maincontrols that hover below the image. For the zoom experience, unfortunately we have not managed to accommodate all functionality as when the image is scaled down.
Looks like I'm blind and don't see close button:

Items:
togglethumbnails
previous
scrollinfo
next
toggleplay
sfx
togglefullscreen
zoomin
zoomout
link
purchase
sendlink
contact

Thanks for the answers, I already like your technical support.

Martin
Experienced

06 May 2011, 04:17

hwat wrote:Looks like I'm blind and don't see close button
You look at the tab 'Controls'... go look at the tab 'Image' and then 'Closebutton'

hwat
Topic Author

06 May 2011, 04:25

mabro wrote:
hwat wrote:Looks like I'm blind and don't see close button
You look at the tab 'Controls'... go look at the tab 'Image' and then 'Closebutton'
Mabro, this is the button which was not working good for me at first place, read the message.
I can't scroll with my mouse to top to see this button, scrolling stops before it shows up.

hwat
Topic Author

06 May 2011, 04:26

Oh, and a bit more.
About licenses. I don't understand what "commercial website" means. So if I'm showing my professional works, is it commercial? ) I believe, every photographer or designer is showing his works to find clients.
And then, how do you decide or track, is it still private or already commercial? ) Watching every client's site?

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

06 May 2011, 04:51

hwat wrote:And then, how do you decide or track, is it still private or already commercial? ) Watching every client's site?
As you might guess we have a system that keeps track of licenses and web-sites Imagevue is running on, but we're cool and quite busy guys so we don't watch it very closely. We believe in fair use.
firedev.com

Martin
Experienced

06 May 2011, 06:09

hwat wrote:Mabro, this is the button which was not working good for me at first place, read the message.
I can't scroll with my mouse to top to see this button, scrolling stops before it shows up.
Didn't read it comletely...
I think that mjau-mjau meaned the togglethumbnails... when clicking on this button the image closes and the thumbnails reappear.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

06 May 2011, 23:38

hwat wrote:Thats exactly what I want, but I see only 4 ways of scaling, one of them is "original" which is kinda does not scale down when screen is small — and others are fitting areas. There is also "original optimized" check but I don't see any difference with its on or off. So how do I do that?
Sounds to me like you want images to scale down, but NOT scale up more than 100%. This is how Imagevue works with it's default setting fitmargin ... original_optimized is a special setting that basically sets an image to not scale down as long as it does not break the stage. If it breaks the stage, it will still scale down just like the normal. Basically this means that the image may sometimes break the margins and overlap navigation elements for the benefit of showing the image at original scale (instead of scaling it down).
hwat wrote:Looks like I'm blind and don't see close button:
Sorry, my fault ... It is not there by default, but you can add the button by editing the file iv-includes/include/config.xml. Locate the XML node:
Code
<items type="array" description="Selects what items to display in the main controls" options="togglethumbnails, previous, scrollinfo, next, toggleplay, sfx, html, togglefullscreen, zoomin, zoomout, link, purchase, sendlink, contact, share">togglethumbnails, previous, scrollinfo, next, toggleplay, togglefullscreen</items>
Add "close" as an option:
Code
<items type="array" description="Selects what items to display in the main controls" options="togglethumbnails, previous, scrollinfo, next, toggleplay, sfx, html, togglefullscreen, zoomin, zoomout, link, purchase, sendlink, contact, share, close">togglethumbnails, previous, scrollinfo, next, toggleplay, togglefullscreen </items>
Go to your admin -> settings and enable the close button for main controls.

hwat
Topic Author

07 May 2011, 02:25

Again, thanks for answer but seems like we are going on circle here )
My question was not about zoom behavior when image is just opened in viewer, I see that image with fitmargin is never zooms more than 100%. It works fine and that not an issue.

The problem though is when image opens in small browser window and then user presses zoom in button: I don't want him to zoom more than 100% because image becomes blurred and I don't see any scenario when this is nesessary. So I want to disable zoom in button if image is already 100%. If its not possible, please consider this as feature request, which I believe is very easy to implement.

grimurnet
Experienced

07 May 2011, 06:21

I agree with this, it would be nice to be able to have the zoom only to a 100%, so if the image is showing at its original size then no need to zoom more, or be able to set how many times it should zoom, how many steps, so there could be a option for this in the admin.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

07 May 2011, 06:35

The only problem with this scenario you mention, is that in most cases the visitor will be stuck with a zoom-in an zoom-out button that does not do anything. In the case that the image fit the stage unscaled, then these buttons would not do anything at all and the visitor would be left scratching their head wondering what they are for ... Keep in mind the "amount of steps" for zoom, and also the current state of zoom all depends on the size of the image compared to size of the visitors screen. For example, if the original image fits margins, there are only 3 zoom modes, and default "step" would be 2:original.

At best, we would need to make a function so that the zoom buttons only display if the image is scaled down because it does not fit stage. Then of course, we would need to apply this function only if the images are set to not zoom past 100% ...

Just out of interest, I am also against scaling up images to retain pixel-perfect quality. However, experience has shown that your average visitor often likes to see pictures taking advantage of the screen size, even if it means scaling up the images.

hwat
Topic Author

07 May 2011, 11:07

mjau-mjau wrote: At best, we would need to make a function so that the zoom buttons only display if the image is scaled down because it does not fit stage. Then of course, we would need to apply this function only if the images are set to not zoom past 100% ...
That would be just great, implement this please.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

09 May 2011, 02:34

I will add it to our task list.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

17 May 2011, 13:44

We have now added a new setting scale_limit, which prevents the image from scaling larger than 100% of original size when the visitor uses the zoom buttons. This feature will be available shortly in an update of Imagevue X2.7 beta.

A few comments when using this setting:
# In some cases (depending on image-size vs stage size), an image may already be displaying at 100% original size even within the margins. In this case, neither zoom in or zoom out has any effect, and the buttons are in fact removed from the imagebuttons.

# With this setting enabled, there may still be anything between 1 and 4 zoom states. For example, if your original image is very large (larger than the stage in width and height), there will still be 4 zoom stages: fitmargin, fitstage, croptostage and original. However, your image will under no circumstances ever display larger than 100% original size.

# This option is off by default, but can be changed in settings:
settings › image.image.scale_limit