Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

zipper
Experienced
Topic Author

help with settings

07 Jun 2016, 19:53

I have noticed that the buy button on my website has stopped working, not that it really seems to make a difference if its working or not, but it no longer seems to open up the fotomoto widget, I have just uploaded new files to the latest release for x2 to see if that was the problem but cant figure out how to get it working again, I think the settings are right it just doesn't seem to load the widget, I would appreciate your help and guidance, many thanks! the website is www.zacz.com

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: help with settings

08 Jun 2016, 05:19

It seems Fotomoto has changed their API methods, and to be honest, X2 hasn't been updated for 4-5 years. It has long since been replaced by the new Imagevue X3. Although we have not promoted X3 yet on the website, you can find information here:
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.php?t=8618

I am not sure we can hotfix fotomoto for old X2, but I would be able to set it up for new X3.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

zipper
Experienced
Topic Author

10 Jun 2016, 13:14

ill bear that in mind, do you have links to show how to build a site that offers eCommerce without using fotomoto but another platform, one which could offer a small range of size options per page, how would I start researching this to get to grips with the task at hand? having looked at x3 compared to x2 it looks like an upgrade I'm tempted with, but Ideally Id like to figure out a shopping cart system along with finding time to develop the website, thanks for any help!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

10 Jun 2016, 17:07

zipper wrote:ill bear that in mind, do you have links to show how to build a site that offers eCommerce without using fotomoto but another platform, one which could offer a small range of size options per page,
X3 has a flexible "link" system, which would allow you to build dynamic links to many 3rd party services. Here is an example from someone I helped out a few days ago using Shopify:
https://swamphox.com/galleries/landscapes/baltimore/

We will likely build better integration with Shopify later on, although it could also be linked to other services. The reason I am personally fond of Shopify, is because unlike Fotomoto, there are no high commissions, and you can sell anything and/or do your own printing. It's also more flexible and has better designs.
zipper wrote:how would I start researching this to get to grips with the task at hand?
It's quite easy to setup something like the above, although it would require to you use a system like shopify ...
zipper wrote:having looked at x3 compared to x2 it looks like an upgrade I'm tempted with, but Ideally Id like to figure out a shopping cart system along with finding time to develop the website, thanks for any help!
I can offer you an X3 trial version ... let me know! I can assist in connecting to Shopify or another service, within the capabilities of X3.

zipper
Experienced
Topic Author

19 Jun 2016, 12:39

I have been researching, so far I'm interested in shopify as a cart system but am curious about using Paypal Web Payments Standard and maybe upgrading to Web Payments Pro at a later point, shopify basic and paypal pro seem to offer similar services, would integration be possible if I chose a paypal route?

I would probably use http://www.fetchapp.com/ for digital downloads which I think work with either system but might be hard to integrate, do you have any experience with this? or similar digital download distribution platform?

from the demo sites I've seen x3 looks like a good upgrade, will be upgrading!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

20 Jun 2016, 11:05

zipper wrote:I have been researching, so far I'm interested in shopify as a cart system but am curious about using Paypal Web Payments Standard and maybe upgrading to Web Payments Pro at a later point, shopify basic and paypal pro seem to offer similar services, would integration be possible if I chose a paypal route?
Paypal, regardless of what Paypal system, is just a payment service ... . As mentioned in previous post, we already have a method to connect to connect images in X3 with shopify, and could also do the same with paypal. There is no "shopping cart" in X3 or paypal, so it would only be a "buy now" solution ... Building a dedicated shopping cart solution is a massive undertaking ...
zipper wrote:I would probably use http://www.fetchapp.com/ for digital downloads which I think work with either system but might be hard to integrate, do you have any experience with this? or similar digital download distribution platform?
Sorry no experience with this. Connecting e-commerce with websites, without using a dedicated solution is always complicated unfortunately.
zipper wrote:from the demo sites I've seen x3 looks like a good upgrade, will be upgrading!
Thank you. Sorry for not providing more positive information about e-commerce in X3. I just don't want to give the idea that you can easily achieve a dedicated cart-solution in X3 with other services.

zipper
Experienced
Topic Author

20 Jun 2016, 13:11

I notice both shopify and paypal standard opens a new window to process the payments, paypal standard has a lot of advantages over shopify basic, not just the cost difference, but I'm a little confused, so Shopify is a cart system and not just a payment system which is where it differs from Paypal Web Payments?

as to fetchapp, it connects with Shopify and with Paypal, it just needs to be able to place some buttons on pages which use them, much like shopify/paypal, this would be possible? the example website you showed, would open up a pop up where html coding could be done so that users could chose options? e.g. picture size, matt/gloss etc.

either way the building prospects look daunting at this stage! thanks mjau-mjau

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

20 Jun 2016, 19:02

zipper wrote:I notice both shopify and paypal standard opens a new window to process the payments, paypal standard has a lot of advantages over shopify basic, not just the cost difference, but I'm a little confused, so Shopify is a cart system and not just a payment system which is where it differs from Paypal Web Payments?
Well, I don't really have extensive experience with any of them. I do know that shopify is a full e-commerce system, where you add your products, and get a website interface for each product along with a checkout experience ... You can use Paypal as payment option in shopify. Furthermore, there is extensive features for how the order is made, and selections for each order. Paypal on the other hand, is fundamentally only a payment service. I believe you can create specific links in Paypal so that one could click "buy" now from X3, but then there is no "cart" or "checkout" page, and you won't get to define advanced features for products ... Its just click "buy" -> pay through paypal ... that's it. If you want a full e-commerce system, we would have to build it into X3, with payment-support for Paypal ... something other companies with dozens of employees spend years on. Therefore, we will never build our own native e-commerce platform into X3, but we will work hard to integrate with existing platforms like shopify ... The reason shopify gets the thumbs up, is because they build a platform we can ultimately integrate seamlessly with X3. Paypal, apart from having manual "click to buy links", we cannot.
zipper wrote:as to fetchapp, it connects with Shopify and with Paypal, it just needs to be able to place some buttons on pages which use them, much like shopify/paypal, this would be possible?
Are you really sure it's as simple as you make it sound? I had a quick look, and mostly it seems like some kinda plugin to be used with shopify (at least if you want a functional interface). Here is one of their examples: http://www.thecodesrealm.com/collection ... s/itunes50. You see the nice cart interface? This is what the million dollar enterprise shopify has built, and is good at. I don't know how you can have fetchapp just "place some buttons" ... this is not how it works with paypal/shopify either.
zipper wrote:the example website you showed, would open up a pop up where html coding could be done so that users could chose options? e.g. picture size, matt/gloss etc.
Yes, but that is SHOPIFY. Likely you could configure this in your shopify interface, and that is what shopify is good at. It is not something we would implement in X3.

zipper
Experienced
Topic Author

27 Jun 2016, 13:33

I just upgraded to x3, are there any set up tutorials from x2, I did

https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.php?t=8754

and am unsure how to progress, the system is very different to x2 or different to coding, I dont know how to progress to get a working basic site before moving to styling or any of the topics mentioned above, I am unsure how to authoirise the site for x3 I didnt do that in the purchasing process I should have probably made a section on the server to test it out and build instead of jumping in so quickly, am a little stuck!

zipper
Experienced
Topic Author

27 Jun 2016, 13:38

to make matters worse, I did the first part of

https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.php?t=8754

did the changes then after found out there is a new version of the update script, below the old version, I really messed that up! :oops: :roll:

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

27 Jun 2016, 17:49

First of all, what is your link? I just see a post about you upgrading, and that you have some problems, but I don't see a single question ...
how to progress to get a working basic sit
I don't know, but if you have a link, I can see what is "not working" ...
I am unsure how to authoirise the site for x3
You don't need to authorize immediately. It just shows a link www.photo.gallery in footer until you purchase an upgrade license and authorize ... The website will work fine without authorization.

zipper
Experienced
Topic Author

28 Jun 2016, 02:42

hi!

I got a lot of things working last night, after looking around, what I cant get working at the moment is an error page for my graphic design page, and errors for poems, it looks like poems need to have images and not just be text pages off a main text folder,

the website is www.zacz.com

otherwise I feel I'm starting to read the point of using shopify in the website, so some information on how to set this up along with fetchapp.com, although I relise shopify is what you have experience with so I can try and figure out fetchapp after ive installed shopify

I am unsure if I have disabled all download methods, there is a download right click and download button in full screen only? or are there more methods I would need to tackle to protect images?

I see there are add things buttons already on the website, but do I need to join add this to get them working? I also notice there are things like facebook/imagevue etc, how would I customise there? and these link to my own personal facebook twitter google plus links, how do these work? are they needed to be set up for the site itself or for each facebook twitter google plus pages I should have set up as extra content for the site? can I remove things like twitter if I dont use it, what do you think?

thanks once again!!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

28 Jun 2016, 16:54

Unfortunately, running X2 through an "upgrade" process, that converts it to something that looks and works entirely differently, would be quite confusing. That is why we recommend setting up a fresh X3 website, creating pages from scratch. You don't save that much time from the convert, considering you need to setup- and learn features of X3 anyway.
zipper wrote:what I cant get working at the moment is an error page for my graphic design page
Try renaming the folder "Graphic Design" to "graphic-design". You should not use spaces in folder names.
http://www.zacz.com/Graphic%20Design/GraphicDesign/
zipper wrote:and errors for poems, it looks like poems need to have images and not just be text pages off a main text folder,
I assume you are referring to this page:
http://www.zacz.com/Poetry/

First of all, I recommend you upload/create a default "preview" image for your website: 1.index/preview.jpg. It is looking for that image, because all the child pages it is looking for in the Poetry folder are either broken, or don't contain images at all. Thus, if you have this page setup to display preview images from child folders, it will obviously fail: No image in the child folder, and default preview image does not exist.

Just as example, the Ooze page has no images. Therefore, the "poetry" page obviously can't display an image from within the child folder, if no images exist, and the default preview image doesn't exist either.
http://www.zacz.com/Poetry/Ooze/

Furthermore, you have "broken" pages here also, because the folder name contains space:
http://www.zacz.com/Poetry/buddhas%20smile/

There is no good reason to use spaces in folder names, as you can read about if you click the (?) help button from the "create" folder dialog box.
zipper wrote:otherwise I feel I'm starting to read the point of using shopify in the website, so some information on how to set this up along with fetchapp.com, although I relise shopify is what you have experience with so I can try and figure out fetchapp after ive installed shopify
Shopify have product pages, that can be opened in popup windows from X3, that include the image name. For example user.shopify.com/product/image-name/ Furthermore, there is a cart and checkout options from the shopify page product page. Unless fetchapp.com offers a similar solution, I am not sure how to expect it to be integrated with X3.

Before I write a shopify tutorial, do you actually have a shopify account, and a shopify website with products ... and products with names that match your image names? There is an example of shopify integrate here, with the above requirements fulfilled:
https://swamphox.com/galleries/landscapes/baltimore/
zipper wrote:I am unsure if I have disabled all download methods, there is a download right click and download button in full screen only? or are there more methods I would need to tackle to protect images?
Did you also enable "Prevent Right-Click" from main settings -> settings? If so, then yes. Of course, anyone who knows how to use any "browser developer tools" (which all browsers have built-in), can easily download your images regardless.
zipper wrote:I see there are add things buttons already on the website, but do I need to join add this to get them working?
The default sharing is NOT AddThis, and you certainly don't need to use AddThis for sharing. AddThis is an option, but I would never recommend it ... It's just that they offer more obscure services that almost nobody uses, their buttons look ugly, and it requires an additional 500kb of loading for the visitor
zipper wrote:I also notice there are things like facebook/imagevue etc, how would I customise there?
I am not 100% sure if you are referring to the TOOLBAR on the left, or the FOOTER at the bottom. The toolbar on the left is by default for SHARING, and no you don't need to do any further customization here. A visitor can already click to share your website with the buttons here ... Only if you have clear ideas about another sharing service you want to emphasize, you could go to settings -> toolbar.

If you speak of the FOOTER, then read on ...
zipper wrote:I also notice there are things like facebook/imagevue etc, how would I customise there? and these link to my own personal facebook twitter google plus links, how do these work? are they needed to be set up for the site itself or for each facebook twitter google plus pages I should have set up as extra content for the site? can I remove things like twitter if I dont use it, what do you think?
Yes, they are links to your social media accounts etc. You can go to settings -> footer, and edit the basic html from the examples. You would naturally change the links inside the HREF tags to link to your own services.

Just remove the links to services you don't have, ALL if necessary. These links are just optional, and often what website-owners wish to show in their footer. By no means are they necessary ...

zipper
Experienced
Topic Author

28 Jun 2016, 22:43

thanks so far! :P 8)

is it possible to remove images from the poems pages so its just text boxes? or how to have a title which loads a new page with its content so that text can be formatted with paragraphs and spaces, (is there a way to do this besides using the space bar lots of times, which might not work for different screen sizes?)

I just registered for a 14 day trial with shopify and a trial for fetchapp which I will move to the full version after the trial runs out

how would I begin with shopify? I'm guessing if a pop up window is used for shopify, the same principle could be used for fetchapp using a buy button to load up a new window where I could edit and work in HTML to create options for setting it up, like drop down menues etc, I will see how the two fit together,

I am curious how shopify integrates itself into your x3, which I have to say is a lot better then x2 was, I was happy with x2 but the new platform is really nice! thanks for making such a good piece of coding! 8) :D 8)

I dont know if its possible to add functions like a sign up for newsletter to the site as well

or to do search engine optimization, I read somewhere that x3 has this option where x2 didnt :shock:, which would be a vast improvement and hopefully good news! 8)

I really appreciate your time in effort in helping me and guiding me threw this building process! thank you!! :D

zipper
Experienced
Topic Author

28 Jun 2016, 22:51

is it possible to embed youtube videos into x3?