Search…

neebster
Topic Author

Fatal error: Out of memory

28 Jan 2013, 07:53

Hi,

Version 2.8.1

I hope you can help. I've just discovered this error on my gallery:

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 6291456) (tried to allocate 81 bytes) in /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/gallery/iv-includes/include/ivXmlNode.class.php on line 62

I get this error when I try to visit the admin area:

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 6291456) (tried to allocate 32 bytes) in /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/gallery/iv-includes/include/ivXmlParser.class.php on line 37

I've done a search on the forum for an "out of memory" error, but couldn't find anything. I've asked the server company and they tell me they've "just double checked and the memory limit is set at 128M, this should be more than enough."

What can I do to get the site working again?

Thanks.

neebster
Topic Author

Re: Fatal error: Out of memory

28 Jan 2013, 18:08

I've upgraded to version 2.8.7, however I am still getting the error.

Anyone got any ideas?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

28 Jan 2013, 20:30

This normally could happen if you have very large images for instance, or an incredibly heavy folder/image structure. It is not normal though ... Do you have a link to your gallery and admin?

neebster
Topic Author

29 Jan 2013, 05:19

Thanks for replying Karl.

I have sent you a PM with the URL.

neebster
Topic Author

30 Jan 2013, 12:47

I have checked the the reported 128MB is allocated by using the php.ini viewer in the control panel. I have also created a php file and placed it in the gallery folder to confirm that it still reports128MB and it does.

Are there some temp files or a cache I can clear which would help?

Would deleting some of the files in the "content" folder help get the site back up and running?

neebster
Topic Author

31 Jan 2013, 06:36

I have created a new clean hosting account and uploaded the files from imagevue.x2.8.7. When I visit the site I get the same "Out of memory" error.

I then deleted all of those files and uploaded Imagevue.X2.7.6.5. Again, I got the same error.

I've called my host, however they are telling me that it must be a coding error, which can't be true.

Any help or suggestions welcome.

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

31 Jan 2013, 07:02

This is strange because it says it has allocated only 6 megabytes of memory and out of memory. This is certainly something with the server. It is a coding error, but not in Imagevue. It can be caused by the ionCube they have installed or a bug in libxml. Or there is an .htaccess file that is limit memory to 8mb.

Sorry I don't have any other suggestions, but it is relatively simple to check that the problem is not caused by Imagevue –– upload all your files to another host. I believe you might have to change it anyway.
firedev.com

neebster
Topic Author

31 Jan 2013, 10:17

Many thanks for responding Nick.

It had also occurred to me to upload the files to another host, which I did this morning and with no great surprise Imagevue worked as expected.

I have emailed my original host to ask them to explain why only 6MB is being allocated, when they said that there is 128MB available.

It is very frustrating and confusing that the site had been working fine for many months.

neebster
Topic Author

31 Jan 2013, 11:53

My host got back to me saying that the site is back up and running, however they have had to increase the memory limit to 600MB!

There is no way that Imagevue should need that much memory. What is going on?

phpinfo() is reporting a memory_limit of 256MB. Is it possible that they are setting a memory limit somewhere else?

Any further advice on what should be looked at would be very much appreciated.

neebster
Topic Author

31 Jan 2013, 12:25

My host has responded:
This is the PHP memory limit; the amount of memory that the PHP interpretor will allow a script to consume. The interpretor will consume additional memory itself. I believe the root cause of the issue is that there is an interaction with the operating system, such as reading large files into memory, which is consuming the resources.

The 600MB setting that is now in place on the account is set at operating system level. It is an instruction to the kernel to only allow processes on the account to use a certain amount of memory. Once the limit is reached it will appear to the process that the server has used up all of the available memory.
Is this normal for an Imagevue installation? I can't imagine that it is.

neebster
Topic Author

31 Jan 2013, 12:34

Having done lots of searching for people having similar memory problems, some have had success by adding "RLimitMEM MAX MAX" to the .htaccess file. They say that the problem isn't a PHP memory limit, but an Apache limit.

I can't really try it out though as the site is currently working.

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

31 Jan 2013, 20:45

Of course this is not normal and the problem is not in Imagevue. Also interesting that you said they have increased the memory limit to 600Mb but php.ini reports 256. Also, normally, when php says it's out of memory the number you see is close to the number in php.ini, not to 6Mb when you have 128 set as a limit.

There might be a buggy libxml or something like ionCube is leaking memory. This is the first time we face this issue with tens of thousands installations around the world.
firedev.com