X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

imsam
Experienced
Topic Author

Getting "undefined" on iOS devices

20 Jul 2012, 12:55

Hi,

I have two albums in my gallery. I can access one of them i.e. "Experiments" just fine on my iPhone/iPad.

However, when I try to access the other one ("America the Beautiful") or the text page, I get "undefined" on my iOS devices. Any idea what may be causing this?

My website is http://www.iAmericana.com. Thank you for your help.
Thanks,

Sam

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

Re: Getting "undefined" on iOS devices

22 Jul 2012, 23:32

Unfortunately your server doesn't allow plus signs in URL. Example: http://www.iamericana.com/?+
Rename the folders to get rid of spaces in them. Like America-the-beautiful or so.
firedev.com

imsam
Experienced
Topic Author

04 Aug 2012, 12:55

Nick,

To be perfectly honest with you, I didn't think your response addressed the issue but didn't want to jump to any conclusions and contacted tech support at GoDaddy telling them that the server didn't support + signs in the URL and here's the response I got:
I understand you are unable to view the gallery correctly on an iOS device. Unfortunately, this is an issue with the device/browser and we are unable to troubleshoot third party products. The site currently loads correctly from our computers and the server seems to be fully functional. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Please let us know if we can assist you in any other way.
I'm still struggling with your response too because I do have spaces in my gallery names -- as I should be able to use them. I want my gallery to be called "Experiments in Style" -- not "Experiments-in-Style".

Those spaces seem to get encoded nicely when I go to my site using a PC or Mac based browser. They get encoded as %20. So I'm still not clear why the same is not happening if I use Safari on my iOS device. Should this not be addressed at the ImageVue level?
Thanks,

Sam

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

05 Aug 2012, 04:27

The issue is a bit unfortunate, and it seems there are some very few servers that do not support + in the URL field for some reason. Usage of + is generally the new standard, as it looks more elegant than %20.
imsam wrote:I'm still struggling with your response too because I do have spaces in my gallery names -- as I should be able to use them. I want my gallery to be called "Experiments in Style" -- not "Experiments-in-Style".
Why do you want this though? As you pointed out yourself, your titles will display in browser like this:
Code
Experiments%20in%20Style
Do you think that looks better than this?
Code
Experiments-in-Style
Furthermore, this is the exact reason why we use titles in Imagevue. For example your folder name might be called something simple, but you can add some complex string as the title, including spaces and special characters.

I don't see one reason why you should be using spaces in your folder names, because the visitors will not be reading the actual folder names anyway, and if they do, it will be in the URL where they will look like this: "Experiments%20in%20Style".

Back to the technical aspect of the issue again, I believe we may need to add an optional fix for this where + is replaced by %20. Do we think this looks nice? no. In fact, if you create a folder from the admin, we do not allow spaces in folder names, simply because it does not look nice, may lead tos erver problems, and is always formatted on output with some replacement character anyway.

For now, with this unfortunate issue on your server, if they don't want to fix it (seemingly they don't), your only option would be to rename the spaces with "-". Hopefully we can have a fix for this on servers that for some reason dont want to support + in URL, in the next release.

imsam
Experienced
Topic Author

05 Aug 2012, 20:00

Karl,

Thanks for your response. I actually didn't realize I could use the titles to display user friendly folder names -- in retrospect, you only pointed out the obvious. What can I say, it wasn't obvious to me for some reason :oops:

Thank you for your help.

P.S. I re-created my folders with hyphens in folder names as opposed to spaces. Was there a way to rename folders?
Thanks,

Sam

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

06 Aug 2012, 01:55

imsam wrote:Thanks for your response. I actually didn't realize I could use the titles to display user friendly folder names -- in retrospect, you only pointed out the obvious. What can I say, it wasn't obvious to me for some reason :oops:
This is understandable. There are many "less obvious" features in Imagevue unfortunately ...
imsam wrote:P.S. I re-created my folders with hyphens in folder names as opposed to spaces. Was there a way to rename folders?
Yes, in top right of folder view in admin, there is a button "Rename" (see snap below). However, this may be faster to do simply with FTP.