X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Vesa Kalervo Ekholm
Experienced
Topic Author

Linking to facebook...

30 Oct 2011, 10:20

Hi,

Why is it, that when I link an image to facebook from my website the thumbnail on fb shows a different image from what it should be...? It shows the same image everytime I try no matter what.

Earlier this feature worked like a charm...

Thanks,
Best regards,

Vesa Kalervo Ekholm

Vesa Kalervo Ekholm
Experienced
Topic Author

Re: Linking to facebook...

30 Oct 2011, 14:25

Seems like the 2.7.6 fixes the problem when linking straight from imagevueX but if I copy and paste the image url to fb then we are back to where we started...wrong thumbnail.
Best regards,

Vesa Kalervo Ekholm

Artur
Imagevue PowerPack

30 Oct 2011, 14:36

Vesa Kalervo Ekholm wrote:...but if I copy and paste the image url to fb then we are back to where we started...wrong thumbnail.
Are you copy image url with "#" character? If so, it will not works. You have to delete "#"...

Vesa Kalervo Ekholm
Experienced
Topic Author

30 Oct 2011, 14:40

Just tried and it works with # and without #...but either way the thumbnail is wrong...
Best regards,

Vesa Kalervo Ekholm

Artur
Imagevue PowerPack

30 Oct 2011, 14:52

I don't know if I understand you well, but it works when you click on this url:
http://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.p ... 1-4721.jpg

Vesa Kalervo Ekholm
Experienced
Topic Author

30 Oct 2011, 14:59

Yes...seems to work but never the less, it displays the image wrong (with white background)...

I need to show the image properly with flash and black background like it is shown on my website. But like I said...it works now if I use the fb button on my website but not if I copy-paste the link...

Thanks for your time anyway :)
Best regards,

Vesa Kalervo Ekholm

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

31 Oct 2011, 01:25

Since last update, Imagevue fixed an issue with sharing on Facebook ... There could still be issues where Facebook chooses to cache a share though.

Not quite sure what you mean with "wrong background". Facebook has a white background, and it will share the image nothing else ... It won't add SWF or any other background, as this is image sharing, nothing more ...

You cannot share the URL directly by copy-paste, because this is basically a single document index file. The #SWFAddress method is only used to tell the SWF which file or folder to display ... Facebook cannot use the values in the URL - It will just use raw code found in the document.

Vesa Kalervo Ekholm
Experienced
Topic Author

31 Oct 2011, 14:29

What I meant was: If I copy an url, for example http://www.vesakalervoekholm.fi/www/?la ... 1-4826.jpg and paste it on fb...it shows a wrong thumbnail (cached?), but when clicked , it leads straight to my website and shows the right image like it is supposed to be. So as I see it, the url copy-paste works just fine (expect the wrong thumbnail).

Only, if I use the fb button on my website to make the link, then the right thumbnail is shown on facebook...
Best regards,

Vesa Kalervo Ekholm

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

31 Oct 2011, 14:59

But this is WHY we have a nice facebook-sharing button in Imagevue, so that it shares the specific image+thumbnail nicely. You simply cannot share an URL with #SWFAddress (eg #/content/path/image.jpg), simply because Facebook does not read the URL itself ... It just reads the source code of the document ... Sorry, but you just can't copy+paste links like that, because technically, Imagevue is a single page document, and we have only managed to create the share button in the first place with some coding and workarounds ...

Vesa Kalervo Ekholm
Experienced
Topic Author

31 Oct 2011, 15:15

I´m sorry but I don´t understand all that techical stuff about swf and what not, but I take your word for it...

And the share button works nicely...no doubt about that and I thank you for it. But it links images only to my personal fb page and sometimes I´d like to place that link on to some other fb page and then copy-paste is the only way. And and as I have tried it for a several times...the copy paste works just fine (except the thumbnail) and the link goes straight to my website...

But...enough of this already...
Best regards,

Vesa Kalervo Ekholm

Artur
Imagevue PowerPack

31 Oct 2011, 17:31

Vesa Kalervo Ekholm wrote: I´d like to place that link on to some other fb page and then copy-paste is the only way. And and as I have tried it for a several times...the copy paste works just fine (except the thumbnail) and the link goes straight to my website...
Huh...

I can't realy understand why you can't copy and paste link directly to image, with image thumbnail :roll:

look on my profile:
http://www.facebook.com/artur.filipiak

All what I did was copy url from your website, which looks like this:
Code
http://www.vesakalervoekholm.fi/www/?language=english#/content/Art%20nude/Self%20portraits/270911-1064.jpg
Deleted all parameters from url: "?language=english#/", and pasted edited url into my facebook table:
Code
http://www.vesakalervoekholm.fi/www/content/Art%20nude/Self%20portraits/270911-1064.jpg

Vesa Kalervo Ekholm
Experienced
Topic Author

31 Oct 2011, 17:57

Artur wrote: I can't realy understand why you can't copy and paste link directly to image
Well I try to make it simple - I won´t do that because that is not what I want. What is there to understand ? I don´t want my photographs to be viewed on white background because it´s crap. It must be black, just like it is on my website... Plain and simple.

I´m been told that copy-paste url on fb that directs to my website is impossible...well it´s not. One more time...I´ve tried it for several times and it works just fine except for the wrong thumbnail. This is all very easy to understand too and anyone can try it for themselves.

But like I said...let´s leave it to this. If you want your art to be viewed on light background then go right ahead but I wont do that because it kills the image.
Best regards,

Vesa Kalervo Ekholm

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

01 Nov 2011, 02:26

I am still not 100% sure what you mean about the background thing ... When Facebook shares an image, it will locate the image NAKED in your document page source. This is achieved through tags in the source code, for example:
Code
<meta property="og:image" content="http://ia.media-imdb.com/rock.jpg"/>
The above is from Facebook's own documentation. Facebook find the page, located the image and or thumbnail, and shares it on some "wall" on facebook.com. It will not add any background or any other style, unless you background (or frame etc.) is in fact embedded in to the image itself. That is how it works ...

As for sharing urls, let me try to rephrase. Imagevue is a single document with a SWF application running inside. When browsing around the gallery, you might see something in the URL field like:

gallery/#/content/folder/
gallery/#/content/folder/image.jpg
gallery/#/content/textpage/

However, the anchors behind the # are not separate "webpages". They simply act as a mechanism for deep-linking inside the Imagevue gallery. When facebook goes to those two links above, it will see the link without everything after the # sign no matter what:

gallery/
gallery/
gallery/

The stuff that comes after # is irrelevant for Facebook, and it sees the same URL, and correctly so because there is only one. The stuff that follows the #, is simply anchors and does not change what is inside the document itself. If you check the raw source in the document (for example in your browser, view -> source), you will see the same content no matter what. They are simply not separate pages technically speaking. They are a single document, and Facebook will read it as a single document. Only humans will see the links differently because the stuff that comes after #, actually tell Imagevue what folder or image to navigate to ...

This is why we have some special method for the sharing buttons, which I will not explain in depth. It involves forwarding a different URL with a landing page for a specific image, for Facebook to read and pickup the data for the specific image/folder. Thereafter, there is a javascript that redirects the human user to the correct location in the gallery ...

Vesa Kalervo Ekholm
Experienced
Topic Author

01 Nov 2011, 07:47

Thanks for being patient and explaining this to me Carl, I appreciate it...

Seem that because I don´t know all this technical stuff I don´t seem to find the right way to explain my self clearly...

When clicked, this link http://www.vesakalervoekholm.fi/www/?la ... 0-0302.jpg leads to my website and shows the image on top of black background just the it is meant to be seen. If I copy-paste it on to facebook, it works just the same way there...only problem being, that for some reason fb shows a wrong thumbnail (I don´t know where it gets it but it´s always the same).

I don´t want to use the method Artur suggested because it only shows the image (on blank/white background) instead of directing to my website...

The imagevue sharebutton works like charm, yes...but it´s only good if I wish to place the link on to MY wall...which is not always the case.

But this is how it is and surely is not the end of my world :)

Thanks again to you both,
Best regards,

Vesa Kalervo Ekholm

Artur
Imagevue PowerPack

01 Nov 2011, 11:07

ok. I see I misunderstood you :oops: .

I thought, that you speak only about thumbnail on FB, that you can't see desired image thumb and this thumb is on white background :) .
Now I now that you speak about link to image in your flash gallery and desired thumb on FB wall...

Try if this is what you need (copy and paste in FB wall):
Code
http://www.vesakalervoekholm.fi/www/?share=content/Landscapes/131210-0302.jpg
Vesa Kalervo Ekholm wrote:(...) (I don´t know where it gets it but it´s always the same).(...)
Explained well by mjau-mjau :wink: :
mjau-mjau wrote:(...) When Facebook shares an image, it will locate the image NAKED in your document page source.(...)