Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

sportklotz33
Topic Author

Sharing Photos on Facebook with Thumb not working

12 Oct 2011, 14:00

Hi Guys,

I am still testing your nice tool in you current version for private purpose.

I found out, that it is not possible to share a photo via the "share" button on facebook with its thumb! The only thing that facebook shows in the little preview is the first image of the gallery it get (from somewhere).

It is also not working in you demo gallery. I tried several images with its URL, posting it manually to facebook or via the SHARE-button but it did not work at all.

Is there a way to fix this? Because, If someone is on your gallery and likes a picture, it would be nice if its thumb is shown on facebook... and not the thumb of the first gallery picture, you know what I mean?

SOrry for my bad english, I am from germany :)

Regards

sportklotz33

Erdaestr

Re: Sharing Photos on Facebook with Thumb not working

14 Oct 2011, 08:02

Did they ever respond to you on this? I'm having the same problem.

sportklotz33
Topic Author

14 Oct 2011, 09:17

Sorry, still got no feedback on this :(

Martin
Experienced

14 Oct 2011, 10:29

sportklotz33 wrote:Sorry, still got no feedback on this :(
I do not have an answer, but it seems to me that the following topic has some relevance to this one...
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.p ... 132#p28132

Jef
Experienced

17 Oct 2011, 11:31

+1 I'm having the same problem. :oops:

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

19 Oct 2011, 03:02

I can confirm this issue, and it is something Facebook changed in the API ...

Basically, it works like this: When Imagevue shares an image with Facebook, it sends a link to a "landing page" for the specific image where Facebook normally (earlier) draws its information (title+thumbnail+description). From this page, we have a meta redirect, redirecting the visitor to the specific image in the gallery. It seems that now Facebook may have changed, and is actually following the meta redirect to get the information ..

Why are we doing it like this? Because Imagevue is basically a single html page, unless we use a "landing page", it will always go to the start page and pickup the title/picture of the main gallery. Using a landing page served as a tool so that facebook would extract the specific shared image information before sending actual visitors forward to the specific url with SWFAddress (ex. #/content/path/image.jpg) which facebook would not be able to read of course (since it simply reads whats in the html source code) ...

We will look for optional methods for this in next release (like redirecting with javascript instead of meta redirect), but until then please have patience as there is not really that much we can do to solve this issue which is something that changed from facebook ...

Sorry for any inconvenience!

Jef
Experienced

19 Oct 2011, 10:44

Merci pour la réponse !!

Soulsam

20 Oct 2011, 13:12

Thanks, have the exact same problem. Facebook only recognizes the for whatever reason rendered first thumbnail of the gallery because it's in the HTML source. No actual metadata of the image or gallery I want to share is passed on to the Facebook linter.

@Karl, you might use this tool to debug:
http://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug

Throw in the URL you're passing on to your sharer there and see if the metadata is extracted correctly. What I would suggest is rendering the necessary oc: properties to pass this info on to Facebook.

Sam

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

20 Oct 2011, 23:08

Soulsam wrote:@Karl, you might use this tool to debug:
http://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug
THanks for this. We will definitely use it to diagnose.
Soulsam wrote:Throw in the URL you're passing on to your sharer there and see if the metadata is extracted correctly. What I would suggest is rendering the necessary oc: properties to pass this info on to Facebook.
We do in fact use OGP (Open Graph Protocol) meta data for BOTH sharing links and sharing the main document. As mentioned in my previous post, the issue ins mainly here that the Flash gallery is a single link ... Technically speaking, we are not sharing different URLs, thats why we had a workaround which was previously working fine.

sportklotz33
Topic Author

21 Oct 2011, 04:30

But I thought that this is one of the main criteria why I would use IMAGEVUE... I have been testing for months now and everything looked fine until I found this "bug". I mean, all those share-buttons doesn't make sense to me at all, if they do not share the picture I would like to share in that moment?

How do other users fix that problem? Just "hide" or deactivated that function? But if I do, I could have installed any 0815-Tool (as we say in Germany) to present my photos?

Sorry for my bad english... and I hope you understand my dissapointment

regards

sportklotz33

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

24 Oct 2011, 02:29

First of all, I believe this issue has now been fixed and is pending for a release shortly.
sportklotz33 wrote:But I thought that this is one of the main criteria why I would use IMAGEVUE... I have been testing for months now and everything looked fine until I found this "bug". I mean, all those share-buttons doesn't make sense to me at all, if they do not share the picture I would like to share in that moment?
Not sure what you mean here. The share buttons do work - It is just the Facebook one that had a problem. This is not some new bug in Imagevue, but it is Facebook that changed how their sharing functionality works. Unfortunately, we have no control of 3rd party services like Facebook, so when they choose to change something, then it may impact our system also, so we need to update it.
sportklotz33 wrote:How do other users fix that problem? Just "hide" or deactivated that function? But if I do, I could have installed any 0815-Tool (as we say in Germany) to present my photos?
Hide or deactivate what? As mentioned, this is only Facebook and it worked fine until Facebook suddenly made a change.

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

25 Oct 2011, 13:26

The update is coming with the fix for Facebook sharing issues, just got to add some other stuff first, please hold on.
firedev.com

sportklotz33
Topic Author

26 Oct 2011, 03:52

That sounds nice.... what do you think... when will it be released?

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

27 Oct 2011, 02:45

We just released it last night, please download and try if it helps.
firedev.com