X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Haider of Sweden
Experienced
Topic Author

Email sent from Hotmail aren't received

14 May 2016, 14:27

I have the latest X2

When a sender types in a @hotmail.com address, I dont receive it.
If the sender sends from @gmail.com I reveive it.

How can that be?
Kind regards,
Haider
www.haider.se

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Email sent from Hotmail aren't received

15 May 2016, 03:33

Did you populate the FROM field in panel email settings? You should ... I recommend you read these replies:
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.p ... 084#p39084
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.p ... 309#p39309
Haider of Sweden wrote:When a sender types in a @hotmail.com address, I dont receive it.
If the sender sends from @gmail.com I reveive it.
This is because the email is not technically "from" the visitors hotmail address, but from your server(you). Different providers, different policies, but somewhere along the line, it is detected as spam, or even denied before it gets that far. Probably the gmail emails you get also have a high "spam" score, although you are still receiving them (perhaps not all?)

You should set a FROM address, and perhaps also consider using SMTP.

Haider of Sweden
Experienced
Topic Author

15 May 2016, 16:06

When I use the "Force From" and use the server's SMTP and email address, I receive emails from Root user

When I use the same email address as the "Owner Email", I receive the emails as from "me" which is how Gmail treats emails claiming to be from myself

When I dont fill in "Force From", but use SMTP, I get the best result; the emails appear with the sender's name. I will read the other posts properly and maybe (if needed) I will solve the issue that makes Gmail say it cant verify.

To sum it up;
when I use the server's email address under "Force from", I solve the Gmail-verification-complaint thing. But it says "Root User"
when I dont use any email address under "Force from", it shows me who sent the email, which is good, but then there was that Gmail that cant verify...
Kind regards,
Haider
www.haider.se

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

16 May 2016, 00:50

I would need to diagnose on your server, but I am not quite sure where you get the phrase "force from" from ... The FROM field is a perfectly legitimate mail field these days, that technically should always be filled based on modern email policies. An email without a sender is not a trusted email, and the sender is NOT the visitor that adds his email.

Besides, even when you fill the FROM field, it will ALWAYS populate the REPLYTO field as the visitors address ... Thus when you click REPLY, it will always reply to the visitor.

You will never get from ROOT if you have set a "from" email.

Perfectly set up, it will look something like this:
From my server (me, legitimately sending on behalf of me), TO me, reply-to the visitor.

X3 just wraps on top of the industry-standard PHP mailer, and we don't add anything.
https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer

Haider of Sweden
Experienced
Topic Author

16 May 2016, 02:51

Hi

This is where the Force From comes from

I use Imagevue X2.8.10.3 (if the version number in the footer means that's the version I run)
Kind regards,
Haider
www.haider.se

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

16 May 2016, 03:29

Oh ok, you are using Imagevue X2 ... Imagevue X2 is more than 6 years old, and I'm sure you must have noticed that we since long time ago moved on towards Imagevue X3.
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=8618

Really not sure why someone would want to spend time with an outdated application, but entirely your call of course.

Haider of Sweden
Experienced
Topic Author

16 May 2016, 03:34

First of all, I had no idea there was a new version going on :)
So its your call to become better in marketing your software. I remember that I used to miss the information about new updates.
How do you notify upgrades? At least, I am assuming to see such news in the dashboard.

Now that I know there is a new version - I knew that because of the issue I had which brought me here to the forum - I will buy an upgrade to X3
Kind regards,
Haider
www.haider.se

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

16 May 2016, 03:48

Haider of Sweden wrote:First of all, I had no idea there was a new version going on :)
So its your call to become better in marketing your software. I remember that I used to miss the information about new updates.
How do you notify upgrades? At least, I am assuming to see such news in the dashboard.
You are right. Actually, we didn't get that far yet ... Currently in the act of updating the website www.photo.gallery to reflect the new version. We didn't send any email updates yet to previous X2 users, because we would like to complete the new website first, and X3 is still somewhat "Fresh from the oven".
Haider of Sweden wrote:Now that I know there is a new version - I knew that because of the issue I had which brought me here to the forum - I will buy an upgrade to X3
Until further notice, all info required to proceed with X3 can be found in the link previously posted:
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=8618